Can't start the program, always prompted for key

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
KingPenguin

Can't start the program, always prompted for key

Post by KingPenguin »

I started v1.15.0 just now for which I had already entered my permanent key for and have been using for a while. Instead of starting up, MakeMKV kept saying it was too old and to download the latest version. That seemed very strange as I was never forced to keep up on new versions (please don't start that policy btw) but I complied and installed v 1.15.1. The same messages keep happening. I looked at the Help->About screen and it says
License Type: Freeware
Evaluation: Ended
This version expires Mon Aug 10 2020 [66 days]

Has something insane happened with the date/time on my system? Is anyone else having this problem? According to this, even if I didn't have a permanent key, the version should work for 2 months. I enter my key, it says to restart the application for the change to take effect. I do and it just keeps prompting me for a key.
KingPenguin

Re: Can't start the program, always prompted for key

Post by KingPenguin »

I was an idiot and didn't notice I was still using an evaluation key. I never received a permanent key or it went to my spam folder and I didn't notice it before getting deleted so I was still on the evaluation key which expired at the end of March. I clarified this in an email to support, hopefully they will resend my permanent key or does anyone know another way to retrieve it?
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Sounds like your settings file may have been corrupted.

What does ~/.MakeMKV/settings.conf look like? Or, just rename it, start MakeMKV and add your key again and a new file will be created.
KingPenguin

Post by KingPenguin »

Please delete this entire thread, I was still using the evaluation key and didn't realize it. I recovered my permanent key from the payment website so all is well.