Package Managers Officially Supported? (Ubuntu Snap, Flathub, etc.)

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
MetalDave

Package Managers Officially Supported? (Ubuntu Snap, Flathub, etc.)

Post by MetalDave »

As the topic reads, I am curious to know there is "official" support for a package manager method to install MakeMKV on Ubuntu.

The Snap package manager would appear to be the Ubuntu version of an "app store." However, I've noticed that just about anyone can submit a build (official developer or otherwise). I have installed MakeMKV via Snap, but I am questioning whether it correctly installed (more on those issues in a separate thread). Further, I'd like to know if the developer provides this build or another party.

Ultimately, the instruction thread indicates we should compile from source. However, there's never telling how current those instructions may be and whether Snap superseded that process as a later development.

I am running the latest Ubuntu Desktop distribution (Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS). I am new to the OS, and I'm exploring it for use with an encoding rig (machine completely dedicated to ripping and encoding MKV files).

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by MetalDave on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!
Woodstock

Re: Is Ubuntu Snap Officially Supported?

Post by Woodstock »

I have seen nothing from Mike as far as supporting Snap, flatpak, or whatever as a distribution method. I have seen links to two user-maintained packages, however. And one of the handbrake developers suggested flatpak to him.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MetalDave

Re: Is Ubuntu Snap Officially Supported?

Post by MetalDave »

Looking at the snapcraft.io site (official Canonical store for Ubuntu), it looks like Daniel Llewellyn has done a great job maintaining the latest release on behalf of Mike and the development of MakeMKV.

https://snapcraft.io/makemkv

I don't think Mike's been keen on participating in any App Store model thus far (at least not Apple or Microsoft). Snap seems to the be the default, out-of-the-box "app store" with the Ubuntu Desktop installation. It looks fairly straightforward (i.e. easy) for a developer to publish. Not that he needs any more publicity (and the headaches that come with), but it would, certainly, get it out there. Snap also appears to maintain automatic updates, and I don't know if that would be a pro or con to his model (especially with the beta keys).
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!