region code error

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Qwerty27

region code error

Post by Qwerty27 »

i am running into a problem on linux where it says region setting of drive so-and-so does not match region of disc. and it takes forever to do anything. i tried multiple drive. that didn't work. different types of drives didn't work either. i even reset the region of one of the drives and all that did was remove the error message and nothing else. the long wait times remained. the only thin i found was a forum post with some code in it. am i doing something wrong. i am using zorin os linux. and barely use terminal before today.
dcoke22

Re: region code error

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have a LibreDrive enabled optical drive?

Without such a drive, MakeMKV may or may not be able to work around a region code mismatch between the drive and the disc.
Qwerty27

Post by Qwerty27 »

How exactly would I tell? I just tried on the makemkv home page all it says is this

Os device name: /dev/ sr0
Manufacturer: optiarc
Product: DVD RWAD-7710H
Revision: 1.S0
Serial number: lf315c3bfkxc
Qwerty27

Post by Qwerty27 »

I could not find it on the list.
In fact the device name shown, hl-dt-st dvd ram gp63 ex70, isn't even on the list.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

On the first screen in MakeMKV, on the right side is a bunch of information about the optical drive. A section in there is LibreDrive information, or at least it is if your optical drive is a blu-ray drive. I don't have a DVD-only optical drive, so maybe that section isn't visible if the drive is only a DVD drive.

With a LibreDrive enabled optical drive, MakeMKV should be pretty good at getting around things like region codes. Without that, you're at the mercy of the drive and whatever the firmware allows.
Qwerty27

Post by Qwerty27 »

Sorry if my replies are a mess. This is my first forum post.

I just checked all my drives and the blue ray is the only one that says anything. It says possible with patched firmware.

Out of curiosity, all the drives and dvds were purchased in the us. Does that have anything to do with it.
Qwerty27

Post by Qwerty27 »

I found the info. It is an mt1959 drive platform with 1.03 firm ware version.

The info window says it possible under libredrive information. But the firmware support says no.

From reading other forums, I might need to dumb down the drive to an older firmware. I'm curious, how do I do it?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Qwerty27 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:24 pm
Out of curiosity, all the drives and dvds were purchased in the us. Does that have anything to do with it.
DVDs from the US are Region 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Qwerty27 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:45 pm

The info window says it possible under libredrive information. But the firmware support says no.

From reading other forums, I might need to dumb down the drive to an older firmware. I'm curious, how do I do it?
The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide has instructions and links to necessary tools.
Qwerty27

Post by Qwerty27 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:50 am
Qwerty27 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:45 pm

The Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide has instructions and links to necessary tools.
I found tried the guide. And I couldn't get past step 5, cause it seemed to be for mac. So ask an admin, billy, I think. And he said to follow the steps. I try again. And the bash note said No such file or directory. And he said I had the wrong directory. So, eventually I found it was in a snap directory. And I tried step 5. And I couldn't get past it.

I don't really know what I am doing. And I have been looking at the various forums and websites for the past 7 days. Can someone help?
Qwerty27

Post by Qwerty27 »

I'm kinda new to terminal. I can go to the snap makemkv just fine, but am clueless elsewhere.

I also tried on windows command but it wasn't 64bi. And mac but the version wasn't the right one.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

To finish out this thread… linux command line help here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32296