Feature request for makemkv -- only forced subtitles

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
adamf63

Feature request for makemkv -- only forced subtitles

Post by adamf63 »

makemkv allows the user to select the default subtitles preference, but they forgot about the concept of forced subtitles.

I speak and understand english just fine, but want the forced english subtitles when the actors are speaking a different language.
I want just the forced subtitles for such scenes, but I do NOT want all the english subtitles.

There is no option to select forced subtitles as a default.
Every time I rip a movie, I have to go to every subtitle track and click off the main subtitles selection, leaving just the forced subtitles.

I"m not sure this functionality (getting just forced subtitles) even works as I always end up downloading the forced subtitles from a website instead of getting them from makemkv.
paulster

Re: Feature request for makemkv -- only forced subtitles

Post by paulster »

Not every movie marks its forced subtitles as forced. Some use the front-end menu functionality to switch on a conventional subtitle track (which happens to contain only forced subtitles) when you don't choose another subtitle option. These are probably the movies you're finding where you don't get any forced subs and have to download them afterwards.

So even if MakeMKV offered this option, it would only work on a proportion of discs which use forced subtitles.

And from my experience I'd say it's probably 50:50 whether the forced subs are flagged or not, so I don't think this would work nearly as well as you'd like.