makemkv Blu-Ray extraction exceptionally slow with Centos 7

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
simpz

makemkv Blu-Ray extraction exceptionally slow with Centos 7

Post by simpz »

I have purchased makemkv and hoped to use it on my Centos 7 home server to extract mkv files from blu-ray disk images I have as ISO's (made with Slysoft).

When I use makemkv on Centos 7, it sees the ISO and attempts to extract it. But it then the time to do this extraction is enormous (many hours). It really makes very slow progress, I haven't had the patience to see if it's even generating a valid file.

But when I access the same image i.e the same file on the Centos 7 machine via NFS to a Fedora 22 client machine and run makemkv on that it works very quickly (about 15 minutes).

The Centos 7 machine is much much higher spec than the Fedora 22 (a core 2, 4GB RAM machine vs a Xeon with 32 GB of RAM). And the Centos 7 machine is accessing the Blu-Ray image directly not via NFS. I just don't get it.

I have tried the makemkv in the nux repo, the "schotty" one from the forum, Fedora 21 RPM's and a hand built one with the latest FFMPEG.

Anyone seen this? Or can provide any insight?

There are some warnings on the output:
The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 2112215040, attempting to work around.

But both the Fedora version and the Centos 7 version generate these and the output seems okay from the Fedora system.
schotty

Re: makemkv Blu-Ray extraction exceptionally slow with Cento

Post by schotty »

I am currently working on packaging up the new version. Ill take a look at what I can get going with that. I know that when I first ran this under CentOS 7.0 it was slowish. I can see if there are some build flags or something that may answer why it is so much faster on Fedora as opposed to EL.

And FWIW, I think nux is rebuilding my SRPM for this, so anything I gaffe up on, so will he. Presuming its not an obvious error. I am hoping its just a build flag (or lack thereof).
simpz

Post by simpz »

Thanks for looking into this.

Just to be clear, it performs fine with DVD images it's just Blu-Ray images where the performance is terrible.

And I did try a Fedora RPM which installs clean and it behaves the same way on Centos 7 (slow Blu-Ray) but this same RPM version performs fine on a Fedora system for Blu-Ray.
schotty

Post by schotty »

It looks like I may have to determine which library is not right. I see that according to not only my spec file, but also what is on my system, that the makemkv specific things are correct. But I am having some issues determining what is being loaded. I can see that ffmpeg is built wrong, but also that since we are on the newer releases, we should be using libmmbd (which is indeed present at /lib64/ along with the symlinks).

Code: Select all

andrew  /  lib64  ls -aZ libmmbd.so.0 libaacs.so.0 libbdplus.so.0 
lrwxrwxrwx. root root system_u:object_r:lib_t:s0       libaacs.so.0 -> /usr/lib64/libmmbd.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx. root root system_u:object_r:lib_t:s0       libbdplus.so.0 -> /usr/lib64/libmmbd.so.0
-rwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:lib_t:s0       libmmbd.so.0
 andrew  /  lib64  
I am going to fire off a PM to the author and see if I can get some help troubleshooting this down. It shouldn't be as hard as its appearing to locate the offending library and get this fixed.