Mac El Capitan full disk backup issues w Handbrake

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
davey1107

Mac El Capitan full disk backup issues w Handbrake

Post by davey1107 »

I couldn't find any comments on this issue, please feel free to point me to right thread if it exists.

Previously I made full disc backups of blu rays then encoded them into MP4s via Handbrake. Since El Capitan, Handbrake no longer reads the full disk BDMV file as a valid source.

I can confirm that Handbrake will read backups made with MakeMKV from before the OS update. This leads me to believe something is wrong on the MakeMKV end.

Has anyone encountered this, or know of any workarounds? Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Mac El Capitan full disk backup issues w Handbrake

Post by Woodstock »

handbrake doesn't want to open the BDMV directory, it should be pointed at the directory that CONTAINS the BDMV directory.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
terarbyte

Post by terarbyte »

Hi! I'm having the same issue and wondered if you had any resolution. When I point handbrake at the folder containing all the files, or any of the individual files within that folder (AACS, BDMV, CERTIFICATE, DISCATT.DAT) it has no interest in opening any of it. My experience was similar in that in handbrake I just pointed it at the file name which contained those things listed above and it scanned it, found the movies and I went on. Now it seems like it doesn't understand any of it. I've tried everything I could find so far and no progress. Have you had any success? Is there some way to unpack and BDMV for handbrake to make it easier or something? I'm at a real loss. Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The real fix is to NOT use the BACKUP function - it's not the best way to deal with post-processing with other tools.

Instead, click on the big icon that says "Blu-ray" (and spins while the disk is loading), which will "Open" the disk, and you can save individual titles as MKV files. This does a lot of fix-up that handbrake would have to do (some of which it does NOT do), and takes less time, because you're only ripping the stuff you want.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging