Use MakeMKV via Handbrake

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
BaturalNoobs

Use MakeMKV via Handbrake

Post by BaturalNoobs »

I'm trying to follow this guide to use MakeMKV through Handbrake. Specifically, I ran these commands:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/lib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib ~/lib/libaacs.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib ~/lib/libbdplus.dylib
Next I:

- Open Handbrake
- Click Source
- Click the Blu-ray (i.e. CARS_USA)
- Click Open
- I get the error message "No Valid Source Found"

I posted about this over on the Handbrake forum and was told to "Run it though MakeMKV first."

Is there a way to use MakeMKV via Handbrake?

P.S. I'm running:
- macOS 10.12.3
- Handbrake 1.0.1
- MakeMKV 1.10.4 with license
Woodstock

Re: Use MakeMKV via Handbrake

Post by Woodstock »

While I have experimented a couple of times with using MakeMKV as "translator" for other programs, I don't recall it working well in that role. There are issues with your buffer settings, such as having to make them small or you get time-out problems when the disk spins down while the buffer empties. My tests were with VLC.

After doing that, though, my main question I would have is, "Why?"

MakeMKV can rip to disk very quickly, then handbrake can take the MKV file as its input. Or, with Bluray, you can do a "backup" and let handbrake work from that. Either way, handbrake won't have to wait on the disk, and the rip won't have to wait on handbrake.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BaturalNoobs

Post by BaturalNoobs »

Woodstock wrote:After doing that, though, my main question I would have is, "Why?"
The biggest reason would be just to save a step. I read about this setup and it sounded pretty cool so I gave it a try but couldn't get it to work. What you wrote makes sense though and I'd certainly prefer the most efficient way of doing this over the easiest way.

Thanks for your reply :D
cplr300

Post by cplr300 »

This used to work, the problem is Handbrake 1.0. If you can find a version of Handbrake < 1.0, these steps work just fine.

There was a previous thread mentioning this: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 10&t=15544