Which Audio Track?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
peanuts

Which Audio Track?

Post by peanuts »

Hello, I am on a 9yr old Imac and am running El Capitan 10.11.6. I have makemkv language interface and preferred set to english. So when I open my bluray with makemkv the options that come up by default are the ones in the picture. The movie I want in a mkv file is the 1993 movie The vanishing at this link https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Vani ... ray/42186/
This blu ray audio track should have DTS-HD MA surround 5.1 and DTS-HD MA Stereo but the DTS surround 5.1 was checked by default, is this the same as DTS-HD MA 5.1 or should I uncheck it and check the DTS-HD MA 5.1? When ever I make an mkv with my blu ray movies I always select all english tracks except for the DTS Surround 5.0 it has no dialogue or effects just music. Also, with the subtitles I select all english subs including the forced only subs. I still have the option of turning off subs or on regardless of choosing forced only. Is this supposed to happen? or should the subs be on all the time if forced only is checked?

Thank you

attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 2.30.31 AM.png[/attachment]
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 2.30.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 2.30.31 AM.png (67.21 KiB) Viewed 8621 times
Woodstock

Re: Which Audio Track?

Post by Woodstock »

DTS has a number of "flavors". Normal DTS is a "lossy encoder", meaning what you hear when playing it is not an EXACT reproduction.

DTS-HD adds additional information to DTS that makes it possible for the playback to be exact, i.e. "Lossless"... If your player supports it.

The normal rule MakeMKV uses to select audio breaks down as "best audio with high compatibility", which means it normally selects the "lossy core" of DTS, and not the lossless part. If you check both, you will get two tracks in the MKV file, one with "full lossless data" (DTS-HD), and the other with just the lossy core (DTS).

If you enable "Expert Mode", you can modify MakeMKV's selection rule to favor the lossless version, or tell it to pull all the audio tracks, so you have a better selection when you play the file back.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
peanuts

Re: Which Audio Track?

Post by peanuts »

Thank you for your help Woodstock.