Unable to make mkv with BDMV file

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
peanuts

Unable to make mkv with BDMV file

Post by peanuts »

Hello, I am on a 2009 Imac and with the latest version of Makemkv v.1.14.2. I am having trouble trying to make an MKV with the BDMV file, I have waited as much as 2 hrs and 8 hrs remaining for Makemkv to finish making the mkv and it never finishes. Could anyone in the forum have a solution for me.

Thank you
Woodstock

Re: Unable to make mkv with BDMV file

Post by Woodstock »

Rather hard to make guesses with so little information.

Do you have debug logging turned on? FAQ in my signature explains how to turn it on.

The log has information that will help.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
peanuts

Post by peanuts »

My debug logging is turned off. I forgot to mention that the BDMV file is from a 4k movie from the previous post, sorry. I don't think that the 4k BDMV file was the problem anymore, cause I just tried making mkv file with a regular 1080p blu ray and same thing happened again.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The log will still help, because there are a lot of things we can only guess at right now. Things like, "Are you doing any audio conversion?"
peanuts

Post by peanuts »

So I turned on the debug logging and this is what its telling me
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
DEBUG: Code 117506171 at l.c&Pqe&ON'[Hv'H:29377600
DEBUG: Code 0 at iqyLSl]a8q*ue&VlCV:121262164
Could this mean my hard drive is giving up? If so, I could move the MDMV file to my new external hard drive and then try making mkv file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure it's saying your drive is failing, just that it isn't accepting data as fast as MakeMKV is trying to send it.

Is the destination the same drive that the backup was stored on? It could simply be that the thrashing from alternating read in one area, write in another, is taking a while, such as if it's having to move the majority of the way across the disk each time.

Do you have a different drive you can use as a destination, that has enough free space?
peanuts

Post by peanuts »

The first attempt in making MKV, the destination was in the same place where the backup was stored. I have a new WD 8TB my book with 6TB free space that I used as the destination, and didn't work. I didn't have this sort of problem with the previous Makemkv, can't remember which version it was cause I already deleted it. In the other post you asked my if I was doing any audio conversion, when I rip my movies i only rip the movie, english dialog, and english subtitles. I never compress any of my stored movies.

Thanks
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you want to try an older version, they're stored here: https://makemkv.com/download/old/

This error concerns me: "LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input"

That is unusual from a non-optical disk. Mike would have to translate the debug messages, though, because it might just be a corruption of the file, rather than an actual read error.

Do you get the errors if you're ripping from the original disk?
peanuts

Post by peanuts »

I never get errors from original disks. I will try older version of Makemkv

Thanks