DVD Drives Compatible with Mac?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
cocteau1946

DVD Drives Compatible with Mac?

Post by cocteau1946 »

I'm looking for a DVD drive (blu-ray not necessary) that is compatible with Macs that can rip DVDs of all regions. Most of the recommended drives I could find in the forums were windows only. I'm looking for something not too expensive ($50 and under?)/ Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: DVD Drives Compatible with Mac?

Post by Woodstock »

USB DVD-only drives are rather inexpensive now, in the US$24-30 range. If you're ripping with MakeMKV, regions don't matter with 90% of the drives out there.

I've used Sony and "TSS" (Samsung) DVD drives for years.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

So far the DVD writers I've used with the specs for Windows OS only have all worked in Mac OSX. Even when the writer manual states for Windows, the drive worked in Mac OSX I would also read the customer reviews like in Amazon to check if anyone has used the dvd drive in a Mac. Or ask the seller if he allows returns in case the dvd writer doesn't work in a Mac.
Dunebasher

Post by Dunebasher »

There should be absolutely no issues whatsoever using *any* USB optical drive with a Mac since OSX 10.4.3.

The days when you needed to install Mac drivers are long gone - all external DVD/BD drives conform to device class driver standards that are natively supported by both WIndows (since Vista) and OSX (since 10.4.3).