BD Movies, MakeMKV and Elgato Turbo.264 HD problems

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
vk001

BD Movies, MakeMKV and Elgato Turbo.264 HD problems

Post by vk001 »

Hi,

I'm a Newbie with BD issues... Please help.

Recently bought myself a new Mac Mini (without DVD drive and with standard Client OSX installed) and just started to investigate a way of transferring my BD collection into iTunes for use on the move (iPad) and have already discovered difficulty.

This is what I have done so far:

Have an external FastMac BD-ROM/DVD-R.
Downloaded MakeMKV for Mac and installed.
Bought Elgato Turbo.264 HD (?90) and installed.

Successfully created MKV of Serenity BD and then tried to convert to iTunes via Turbo.264 HD. I got an error message saying the input file was not recognised. Did a bit of research online and discovered I needed Perian to allow Quiktime X (and Turbo.264 HD) to accept MKV files.

Downloaded Perian and installed.

Tried the MKV file in Turbo.264 HD again and received the same message. Also tried the file in Quicktime directly, same error message.

Emailed Elgato support and they say MKV files are supported by Turbo.264 HD and that I just need Perian. I explained that I have tried this and they are now attempting to recreate my problem.

Downloaded Handbrake and Installed.

Tried MKV file in Handbrake and it converted fine and runs in iTunes.

I bought the Turbo on the basis that it would save time in converting, however as it doesn't seem to like the MakeMKV files I am creating I am now thinking of returning it and making do with Handbrake.

Does anyone know how to get Turbo.264 HD or Quicktime X to recognise MakeMKV files? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, my BD drive does not seem to read my Firefly BD... ???
Arakis5

Re: BD Movies, MakeMKV and Elgato Turbo.264 HD problems

Post by Arakis5 »

The Elgato Turbo.264 HD won't work with VC-1 video. Make sure you are using an MKV file that contains MPEG-4 video.
vk001

Post by vk001 »

Thanks for the reply Arakis5.

As far as I can see, MakeMKV does not allow for selection of video output type. If it is creating a MKV file with a VC-1 video in it, how do I change this to MPEG-4?

Thanks.
skittle

Post by skittle »

first, you should ask for your money back, because turb0.h264 is certainly illegally using ffmpeg and x264 code.

Use Handbrake instead, preferably an updated version here: https://build.handbrake.fr/job/Mac/
handbrake is free, and open source. It is a very good gui for ffmpeg and x264.

alternatively you can use x264 directly if you feel brave. just yesterday I converted my copy of the matrix (also VC-1) using this method:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1313
Arakis5

Post by Arakis5 »

vk001 wrote:Thanks for the reply Arakis5.

As far as I can see, MakeMKV does not allow for selection of video output type. If it is creating a MKV file with a VC-1 video in it, how do I change this to MPEG-4?

Thanks.
MakeMKV merely repackages the video into the MKV wrapper, it does not transcode the video. I've been using iVideoConverter (a updated version of VisualHub, neither of which are currently supported) but HandBrake will also work with the VLC-1 codec. It appears that VLC will also work but I don't know if you can output multiple audio channels, probably only stereo.
vk001

Post by vk001 »

Ok, so it looks like the Turbo.264 HD was a waste of money with regard to what I am trying to accomplish.

I've already had success using Handbrake to convert the (VC-1) MKV in to an iTunes friendly mpeg, so think I will return the Turbo and just make do with "slower" Handbrake and my Mac Mini's processor.

I want to convert my BD collection for use on the move via an iPad, but I would also like the option of watching them at home too. At present my Mac Mini is hooked up to a 40" Sony HDTV.

Can you suggest the best Handbrake settings to create a single iTunes friendly file that can be viewed both on an iPad and TV? It doesn't need to be HD as I have the Blu-Ray for that, but would like it to look as good as a DVD when viewed on the TV if possible.

Thanks again for your help.
skittle

Post by skittle »

Does handbrake have an apple tv preset? if not, ipod preset.

basically: basline profile, level 3.0 with 2ch aac in mp4 container should be playable by almost any device that supports H.264.

x264 also can be very fast if you turn down the compression settings! I can get 500+fps in a Q6600 with standard definition content and "--preset ultrafast"
However i always use very slow preset to get file size down. For example "The matrix" compressed all the way down to 11Gb and is almost transparent from the original on my 50" plasma. But i had to use "slower" preset, which was about 2.6fps. So its speed vs quality vs file size trade off.

And of course there are other 'tricks' like using one pass CRF (constant quality, unpredictable file size) instead of 2 pass (fixed file size) and resizing to 720p will save ALOT of time encoding and quite a bit of space.