No Disc Inserted – I believe my drive is dead

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
bjhess

No Disc Inserted – I believe my drive is dead

Post by bjhess »

Wanted to post here to get a second set of eyes for my assumed next step. Specs:
  • MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2016
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • Pioneer BDR-XD05S external BRD, firmware updated to latest
  • Licensed MakeMKV v1.14.5
tldr: I suspect my drive has something wrong with the Blu-Ray reading laser or something. Even though it still reads DVDs, I probably need to replace the drive.

Problem: Inserted BRD, encrypted or not, results in spin up (MakeMKV says it is reading the disc) followed after about 60 seconds by "No Disc Inserted" and ejection of disc. DVDs play fine on the drive and are recognized by MakeMKV. Debug log looks like this:

Code: Select all

Debug log started at Fri Oct 25 14:55:44 2019 , written by MakeMKV v1.14.5 darwin(x64-release)
Using 262272KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.14.5 darwin(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/barry/MakeMKV_log.txt
002010:0000 Optical drive "BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-XD05 3.10d" opened in OS access mode.
No  SDF v062: PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-XD05_3.10_PIDL088070UC
SDF id v062: PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-XD05_3.10_PIDL088070UC
No  SDF v062: PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-XD05_3.10_PIDL088070UC
SDF id v062: PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-XD05_3.10_PIDL088070UC
Troubleshooting attempts with no change in results:
  • Attempted to rip on MBA purchased this summer (probably with MakeMKV 1.14.4)
  • Reset NVRAM with drive disconnected
  • Reset SCM with drive disconnected
Thank you for any help or advice you can provide!
harmosciconillator

Re: No Disc Inserted – I believe my drive is dead

Post by harmosciconillator »

I notice in your debug log there are lines referencing “No SDF”.

This may be a long shot, but in a post today by user iliveinabox05 he also found reference to SDF in his debug file.

The two of you are not describing identical diagnostics, but fundamentally the problem is similar — unexpectedly you can no longer read blu-ray discs.

If your problem is ultimately because of inability to download hk keys from hkdatastore.tk then it should be pretty easy to try his solution:

• change your DNS server(s) to something different from what you have now
• flush your DNS cache
• relaunch MakeMKV

Flushing the DNS cache is done a little differently in each major release of macOS. If you use the OnyX app (from titanium software) it can be done from the Maintenance tab. If you prefer to use Terminal, search the internet using something similar to

macOS mojave use terminal to reset dns cache

to get the correct commands for your OS (Mojave, High Sierra, etc.)

If this doesn’t fix your problem, it’s just as easy to change the DNS back to what you had originally and carry on.

And if it does the trick, well then huzzah!
bjhess

Post by bjhess »

Thank you so much for the response, @harmosciconillator!

I gave it a try (Cloud Flare DNS 1.1.1.1) and I'm not having success as of yet. I want to share some more details just in case…

After changing the DNS server in my network settings on the MacBook Pro (make sure to click Apply!), I tailed the debug log:

tail -f ~/MakeMKV_log.txt
Then I opened MakeMKV. MakeMKV_log.txt:

Debug log started at Sat Oct 26 15:15:56 2019 , written by MakeMKV v1.14.5 darwin(x64-release)
Using 262272KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.14.5 darwin(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/barry/MakeMKV_log.txt
002010:0000 Optical drive "BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-XD05 3.10d" opened in OS access mode.
No  SDF v063: PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-XD05_3.10_PIDL088070UC
SDF id v063: PIONEER_BD-RW___BDR-XD05_3.10_PIDL088070UC
The in-app log showed the following upon opening:

MakeMKV v1.14.5 darwin(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/barry/MakeMKV_log.txt
Optical drive "BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XD05 3.10d" opened in OS access mode.
(To confirm, here are my logging settings in the app: https://monosnap.com/direct/QHiGQeIye4x ... SFYp1z0U6g)

When I insert a disc I get "Disc is being loaded". However, I see no more log messages in app or in the debug log. Eventually the disc is ejected and I see "No disc inserted".
harmosciconillator

Post by harmosciconillator »

How is your MacBook Pro connected to the internet?

Unless it is connected directly to a modem, it's likely the MBP is connected to a router via ethernet or WiFi.

ISP <> modem <> router <> MBP

Depending on your hardware config, your modem+router might be combined in a single device (for instance if you are renting from your ISP) but the signal chain is still the same; modem first, then router.

The reason I mention all of this is that changing DNS on the MBP might not bypass the problem if the router is still using a problematic DNS server. You might need to login to your router and make the change there.

Did you note what DNS server your MBP showed in System Preferences > Network? It may have been pointing towards your router and letting your router determine which DNS server is actually in use. Sorry I'm a little fuzzy on the details about how Macs choose/behave when different DNS servers are configured in multiple settings. :?

Also, did you follow steps to flush the MBP DNS cache? Simply clicking Apply in System Preferences > Network won't actually flush the cache, it just tells the system to adopt your changes. So changing the DNS server on the MBP might still be effective, but you won't know for sure if you don't flush the cache.

Also, some housekeeping questions to help avoid overlooking something else:

• You are using the BRD's auxiliary DC power supply and it is working correctly?
• You've tested a different known-to-be-good USB 3.x cable?
• You've tried connecting to a different USB port on the MBP
• You've tried by first shutting down (full shutdown not just restart), booting, then connecting the BRD?
• You've tried by shutting down, connecting the BRD, then booting?
• You've tried running Handbrake on a BR disc (make sure MakeMKV is not running)?
• You've created a new user account on the MBP, logged in and tried running only MakeMKV with the BRD connected?
• Do you use OnyX? Sometimes cleaning System/App/Internet caches, also rebuilding dyld shared cache, can "magically" rectify an otherwise elusive problem...
• Do you use EtreCheck? It might identify an issue that somehow relates to your problem

There are several threads here in the MakeMKV forums revolving around SDF/HK keys/DNS but at the moment it's hard to be 100% certain that's your problem.

Hang in there. Hopefully someone else will jump in here with troubleshooting ideas, too!
bjhess

Post by bjhess »

Thank you again so very much for the response, @harmosciconillator!
harmosciconillator wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:35 am
changing DNS on the MBP might not bypass the problem if the router is still using a problematic DNS server. You might need to login to your router and make the change there.
You're right, I hadn't changed it at the router level. I tried that with the same results.
Also, did you follow steps to flush the MBP DNS cache?
Yep! Sorry I didn't note that in my original response!
You've tried running Handbrake on a BR disc (make sure MakeMKV is not running)?
I don't think this is a MakeMKV issue. Just inserting a BRD at all, even without MakeMKV ever opening, leads to the spin, spin, spin, eject cycle. So in Handbrake I never have the option to open the disc via the filesystem.
• You are using the BRD's auxiliary DC power supply and it is working correctly?
I haven't tried with an AC adapter. This drive does not come with one and I don't have one that works with the drive.
• You've tested a different known-to-be-good USB 3.x cable?
This drive actually uses a custom cables with two USB connectors on the end to supply enough power along with communications, so unfortunately I haven't been able to try any other cables.
• You've tried connecting to a different USB port on the MBP
Given the above, I've only been able to try connecting through a USB hub, which is what I've used for years. My MBP uses USB-C and I only have one adapter to the regular USB connector. I'm trying to decide if it is worth investing in another adapter to troubleshoot this or if that money is better put toward a new drive.
• You've tried by first shutting down (full shutdown not just restart), booting, then connecting the BRD?
• You've tried by shutting down, connecting the BRD, then booting?
• You've created a new user account on the MBP, logged in and tried running only MakeMKV with the BRD connected?
I don't know if I've done every permutation. I'll give it a try.
• Do you use OnyX? Sometimes cleaning System/App/Internet caches, also rebuilding dyld shared cache, can "magically" rectify an otherwise elusive problem...
• Do you use EtreCheck? It might identify an issue that somehow relates to your problem
No. I'll check these tools out.

Thank you!
bjhess

Post by bjhess »

Thanks for all of the help here. I never could figure out how to get this drive working. I ended up picking up a drive that can read UHD from Alex here on the forum and I'm back in business.