What do you use after makeMKV?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
philb1701

What do you use after makeMKV?

Post by philb1701 »

Aloha

These questions are specifically related to MAC users who transcode UHD mkv files so they can be watched from iTunes or AppleTV via iTunes.

What software are you using to do the transcoding of your UHD mkv files?
How long does it take to do the transcoding?
Does it leave the forced subtitles intact?
What is your typical file size after transcoding?

I already have a very satisfactory solution to all those questions when using standard DVD or blu-ray mkv files, so I don't need any help with them.

The software I am using to do the transcoding is called MacX Video Converter Pro. It has a feature called Fast Copy which typically does the job of transcoding a UHD mkv file into an mp4 in about 45 minutes. The issues I'm having are file size (monstrous but livable) and randomly stripping out forced subtitles (my big issue).

Any suggestions or alternative software solutions will be welcome.

Mahalo
Woodstock

Re: What do you use after makeMKV?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

I’ve tried using Handbrake for UHD transcoding but it has a very washed out look to it, not to mention it takes a really long time. I’d be happy to know what your settings are when using it.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake has a limitation that it cannot currently handle HDR color maps. So, if you're dealing with HDR, HDR+, or Dolby Vision, so you're right that it isn't going to be good for the majority of newer UHDs.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

No Need to Transcode, leave your files in MKV.
Put a drive on your network (ExFat format most likely) and use SMB sharing to access it from your apple TV and use the Program Infuse 6.3 (by Developer FIRECORE).

Pro version is only 10 a year.
https://support.firecore.com
havingcoffee

Post by havingcoffee »

Hi

I use Movavi Video Converter 2020 Premium and it's really fast (probably similar to your app). I haven't had issues with subtitles and I try to get the file size down. The file size is proportionate to the bitrate. The higher the bitrate the higher the file size. Action and CGI movies look better with higher bitrates for sure.

I copy my movies to an external hard drive (exFat format) and watch em on the TV so I have to keep all my movie files under 4GB.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

anothermkvuser wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:49 pm
No Need to Transcode, leave your files in MKV.
Put a drive on your network (ExFat format most likely) and use SMB sharing to access it from your apple TV and use the Program Infuse 6.3 (by Developer FIRECORE).
and you are paying for the 50 TB of disks some people would need for that? I surely do not have the biggest collection around, but when I was around 70% done with ripping, my NAS with 16 TB was nearly full.

For a while I used StaxRip, but because of several errors the tool made with my movies, I also use Handbrake for now.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

Hi Ezatotka —
Of course it depends on your collection. Sounds like you have a lot more than I do. Much of what I own is already in streaming form from services, for my home streaming - I've only converted DVD/BLU RAY, and one 4K Blu Ray for testing (which was actually 90GB).

I decided to NOT convert my 4k's since there is NOT a way to accurately and efficiently maintain the DOLBY VISION+TRUEHD+ATMOS with mkv at this time and stream it to the Apple 4K box.

My 4k player is able to manage all the HDR formats, sound formats that my home theater uses.

I think MKV is ideal to store since it is = same quality as the source, so if you lose your disc or need to make a new disc and you have it in MKV, you're covered. Like having a master file.

Good luck with your project.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

havingcoffee wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:39 pm
Hi

I use Movavi Video Converter 2020 Premium and it's really fast (probably similar to your app). I haven't had issues with subtitles and I try to get the file size down. The file size is proportionate to the bitrate. The higher the bitrate the higher the file size. Action and CGI movies look better with higher bitrates for sure.

I copy my movies to an external hard drive (exFat format) and watch em on the TV so I have to keep all my movie files under 4GB.
exFAT supports file sizes larger than 4GB. FAT32 has the 4GB file size limit.

Read more here: https://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats- ... -and-ntfs/
Compatibility: Works with all versions of Windows and modern versions of Mac OS X, but requires additional software on Linux. More devices support exFAT than support NTFS, but some—particularly older ones—may only support FAT32.

Limits: No realistic file-size or partition-size limits.

Ideal Use: Use it when you need bigger file size and partition limits than FAT32 offers and when you need more compatibility than NTFS offers. Assuming that every device you want to use the drive with supports exFAT, you should format your device with exFAT instead of FAT32.
Eric_Jan

Post by Eric_Jan »

UniConverter ! that's soooooo easy, it also let you convert to h.265 change any setting or use a preset, just drag and click.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Does Uniconverter handle 10-bit HDR UHD video? Their website seems to discuss DVD a lot, and doesn't mention BD or UHD content.

The problem being discussed here is finding something that can preserve the 10-bit High Dynamic Range video.
Eric_Jan

Post by Eric_Jan »

What you're searching for is an opensource command line tool. most tools with normal GUI will not have such detailed options you are looking for.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I think the original poster wasn't necessarily looking for open source, just what would run on MacOS, handle 4K HDR video without losing the HDR, and be able to generate output that could be watched on Apple products.

If Uniconverter can do that, it might be an option. I was simply asking if it can, because their website gives no indication of 4K or HDR support, just DVD.