Registartion code is incorrect

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tracheotomy bob

Registartion code is incorrect

Post by tracheotomy bob »

Hi,

After rebuilding my Mac I'm getting a "Registartion code is incorrect" message whenever I try to register MakeMKV. I originally purchased it back in 2014 and it's been running successfully ever since. Does anybody have an idea on how to get this fixed?

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Registartion code is incorrect

Post by Woodstock »

The question is, what code did you put in?

Your original code should be in an email from avangate.com. If you cannot find that email, contact support@makemkv.com with your information and Mike can get your key to you.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tracheotomy bob

Yep, the original code is in the Avangate email that I still have so I know that's correct. I can copy the code into TextEdit and check it with vi to ensure that there aren't any spurious characters and it all looks good to me. I mailed support back on the 6th but I haven't had a reply yet. I suppose I can try again but more than one mail starts to feel like harassment...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Going to textedit is a good step; I've had a LOT of people complain on my day job about "copy/paste doesn't work!" because the copy from email added extra formatting characters.

Mike (the guy that runs the place) isn't online here everyday. I wouldn't consider a second email to be harassment.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tracheotomy bob

OK, so I'm all sorted now through the support email but I'm going to comment because of a few really stupid things that might help other people in the future.

The key I received from support matched the key I had kept in my email aside from one minor difference; they key from support used mixed-case but the key in my mail was only in upper-case. I had no reason to doubt the validity of the key because it was received through the proper channels but the fact that everything was in upper-case was curious.

Having seen the proper key I pulled out the original email and View -> Message -> Raw Source (Mac OS Mail) and the key was actually correct there. I can see it just fine and it's right.

So, looking further the actual key line looks like this:

<span class="key" style="display:inline-block; padding-bottom:10px; text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; font-size:15px;">Actual Proper Key Goes In Here</span>

Which when viewed in Mail actually shows:

ACTUAL PROPER KEY GOES IN HERE

It looks like the "text-transform:uppercase" changes the case so it's all upper case. That's why things weren't working. I have no idea how I got it working in the first place but I did. I can't tell if Mail just didn't honour the text-transform or not but it certainly seems that the key is being forced into upper-case and that's just causing confusion.

So, if anybody else has a problem with the registration code not being correct it's probably worth checking the actual raw source code of the email.

Anyway, thank you to everybody.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Just checked my old saved mail conent from 2010, but it was in TEXT format with an Mixed-Case key.

Older mails are always send in TEXT format and some have an additional HTML part for showing it in mail programs which supports HTML based mails. So it depends on the used mail program which part is shown (TEXT or HTML) and if the mail program understood the HTML formating tags to convert or not the key to uppercase. However, the uppercase translation is wrong.
Good Luck :)