Two macs, and two different results.

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
pinkyandtherip

Two macs, and two different results.

Post by pinkyandtherip »

I just recently moved to a newer mac. I bought a drive from OWC, and it was an LG WH16NS40 with the dreaded, apparently, 1.04 firmware.

I was able to sideload and downgrade to 1.02.

So, I have backed my first Blu-ray disk, and after processing with Handbrake, end up with a file that is shorter than 1 minute (32 seconds to be exact). The MakeMKV file is gigantic, as expected, but the resulting m4v file was tiny. No errors, just an unusable. I have my old (really old) Mac Pro, and it backs Blu-ray discs fine, no issues, and Handbrake processes them and QTP opens them perfectly. Except on the new iMac. Am I missing something on the firmware? I used the 'patched' app and 'patched' firmware (I believe).

I was able to use MakeMKV to backup a DVD, and am able to play the mkv files with VLC.

So I'm stumped. I've tried everything but swapping the physical drives. Is there another firmware to be flashed? At least the drive is still usable. No bricking here, yet.

Thanks for any enlightenment.
Woodstock

Re: Two macs, and two different results.

Post by Woodstock »

"Backup" and "make MKV files" are two separate functions. Which are you trying to accomplish?

The big one that looks like a disk drive and "spins" when a disk is loading, will open the disk and give you a list of titles to select for conversion to MKV files.

The Backup button will copy the directory structure of the disk to a directory on your drive (optionally removing encryption), which will mainly be m2ts and mpls files.

If you're having handbrake load from the directory structure (i.e., "backup"), then you're dependent on handbrake's chosen bluray decoding library, which may or may not be reading the directory structure correctly.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pinkyandtherip

Re: Two macs, and two different results.

Post by pinkyandtherip »

Apologies for the mix-up. I believe it is the later. I do not choose tracks to transfer, I believe I am doing the 'backup'. On the previous mac, the BDMV files were processed by Handbrake, and output to the m4v files then. I thought they used libdvdcss at one point. (My noobishness is showing on this area of computing)

I just compared the settings from one machine to the next in both makemkv and Handbrake, and they are identical. So I wonder if Handbrake has changed. Hmm...