Trouble making full disc back-ups

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Kal-El

Trouble making full disc back-ups

Post by Kal-El »

So I'm running MakeMKV (1.15.2) on my Mac (OS High Sierra), and I'm trying to make a full disc back-up of a show I own, but I can't seem to get MakeMKV to do what I've been told it can. I want to back it up entirely just as it is (menus and all).

If I check the decrypt files box it successfully rips the disc but presents the videos as one long 'AVCHD collection' video file, and doesn't seem to include the menus and all that.

If I don't check t he decrypt files box it says a 'fatal error' has occurred and quits the program.

Is there any way to make a full disc back-up (ideally as an ISO file or something of that nature)? Why am I getting these weird format issues and/or errors?
Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Trouble making full disc back-ups

Post by Woodstock »

Are you looking at the backup directory through Finder or something else?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Kal-El

Post by Kal-El »

Yeah, once I copy the disc I am looking at the resulting folder in Finder. I tried playing it in VLC and it doesn’t present an option to navigate to the main disc menu when I do. So I’m thinking the menus weren’t preserved in the rip.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Finder does some funky things when it is in a directory named "bdmv"; not owning a Mac, I haven't committed what those funky things are to memory. Hopefully, one of the Mac users here will pipe in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Finder interprets BDMV as a package and makes it look like a single file. If one right-clicks (or control-click on a 1 button mouse) and selects "Show Package Contents" you'll be able to see all the things in there.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

With VLC 3.0.11.1, on a Mac, if I do File -> Advanced Open File -> Disc -> Open VIDEO_TS / BDMV folder and then point to a BDMV from a backup from MakeMKV, it'll open it up and load the menus, FBI warnings and all that stuff. I'm a VLC novice, as it is not my preferred player, so there's probably a better way to do it.