Burned BDMV is not playing

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
immrri

Burned BDMV is not playing

Post by immrri »

I am trying to backup my original 4K BluRays, I copied my 4K disc using MakeMKV and then tried to make copy of that on a BDXL Blu-ray disc (100 GB). I burned BDMV and Certificate files onto the disc using ImgBurn with UDF settings. But I am unable to play it on any BluRay player tried it on PS5, Sony 4K BluRay player, despite that
its working fine on your my Mac with Leawo BluRay Player. Both PS5 and BluRay player are giving an "Unreadable Disc" error when I try to play the disc.

Does anyone has any insights? has any one tried this before?
Coopervid

Re: Burned BDMV is not playing

Post by Coopervid »

There is only one player that can play 100GB discs. Panasonic UB9000. Some can play the discs if you use only 2 layers < 66GB. I suggest to buy a media player and play from ISO or folder. Or reduce the size down to 50GB with commercial programs out there. But still burning 50GB discs is critical these days. Pioneer burners are the best, LG types are lousy. And the quality of the discs goes south more and more. The best were those Made in Japan but the companies closed their factories and moved the equipment to Taiwan. Discs from there are way worse.
immrri

Post by immrri »

Hi Cooper,
Thank for replying. I have Sony UBP-X700 and it's able to play original 4K Disc which are also 100 GB in size without any issue.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Yes. But these standalone players don't accept BURNED discs >50GB. Some of them accept up to 66GB. That's the limit.

And while these 100GB discs are super-expensive and you can use max. 66GB it's better to compress to 50GB and burn those discs.
immrri

Post by immrri »

Thanks a ton, verified it 50 GB BD-R DL plays just fine. Thank you for the insights.