Aliu10

makemkv was prevented from modifying apps on your mac

Post by Aliu10 »

How do i fix this, it keeps switching off
Im using a Sonoma
Woodstock

Re: makemkv was prevented from modifying apps on your mac

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV does not generally modify apps on your system. Knowing what feature of your system is thinking that it is doing so would be helpful.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
reinforcer

Post by reinforcer »

I'm having the same issue. I cannot integrate makemkv into VLC or handbrake because macos keeps blocking the integration.

I did enable "makemkv" and "MakeMkv" but its always resetting the security setting.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Are you granting MakeMKV full disk access in the Privacy & Security tab of System Settings/System Preferences?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 0/mac/13.0
reinforcer

Post by reinforcer »

Yes I did.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm not running macOS 14 Sonoma, so I haven't experienced your issue. I wonder if Sonoma has bug?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

A little internet searching has shown that all kinds of apps with legitimate needs for full disk access seem to be having problems with Sonoma at the moment.
cinemaslavejoe

Post by cinemaslavejoe »

Exact same problem here. I just spent an hour banging my head on the desk trying to figure out why I can't get this working before I decided to search the forum.

I'm running Sonoma on a Mac M3 Max. I can rip 4K UHDs fine using MakeMKV, but I can't enable the decryption for VLC. Every time I go to Preferences > Integration and check the VLC box, it tells me this action was blocked and asks me if I want to allow it. I click Yes. I then launch VLC, and I can watch as the checkbox unselects itself. I then get the usual error about how there's no AACS library. Repeat over and over and over.

Definitely seems to be a Sonoma thing. Anyone found a solution yet?
yannisgk

Post by yannisgk »

same here . it's the usual tactic (as i believe) of apple to not allow any software to fight their overall strategy (in this situation, to use a locked bluray disc to be played without paying!!!).

makemkv developers save us!!!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

MacOS allows virtualizing macOS now… I wonder if someone on Sonoma also has something like Parallels Desktop for Mac. You could try setting up a VM with an older MacOS, like Ventura or Monterey, and see if MakeMKV works any better.

There are a bunch of things I don't know. Normally, new Macs can not run older versions of macOS than what they originally shipped with. If you have a M3 Mac, it must run Sonoma or later. The hardware drivers necessary for the M3 chips don't exist in older versions of macOS. I have no idea if this also applies in a virtualized environment.
Also, I don't know how well MakeMKV will work with optical drives through a VM. Generally speaking, MakeMKV needs pretty low level access to the optical drive to do its work.

I'm not on Sonoma yet and I haven't tried any of the above. But if the troubles with Sonoma are because of a Sonoma bug, trying to use an older macOS in a VM might be a way to work around it. If someone happens to have the right software and is feeling adventurous, perhaps they can give it a try and let us know.
iamschott

Post by iamschott »

I don't ever get this integration to work ever not in Sonoma or prior. Every now and then I come to check if it ever got fixed but it never did. It does provide a dialog box to enable as if it would actually allow to change it. But my experience is it would automatically uncheck in an infinite loop purposely to drive you crazy. From this post it seems like it worked before but not my experience ever.
iamschott

Post by iamschott »

i found a solution or workaround on reddit entitled "Bug regarding macOS Ventura and MakeMKV Decryption Integration with VLC" and it worked.
JUST want to give an update here. So after I found some closure with this issue.
adamschoales

Post by adamschoales »

Add me to the chorus of people who cannot get the integration to work in Sonoma.

Had no issues on other machines prior to Sonoma, but got a new M3 Max so Sonoma was the default installed OS. Tried setting up Handbrake integration and have the same problem as everyone else here. Hopefully there's a solution...
jdwarwick

Post by jdwarwick »

Enabling the check box as root worked for me:

1-Open a Terminal window and type "sudo"
2-Control or right click on the MakeMKV app and select "Show package contents
3-Go to Mac OS folder and select the "makemkv" executable
4- Drop it into the Terminal window, hit return and enter your password

You should now be able to go to "Privacy & Security", select "App Management" and enable both "makemkv" and "MakeMKV". Then, in the integrations tab of MakeMKV you should be able to enable the integration.

Quit MakeMKV and reopen and the setting should have stuck.
Powerkey

Post by Powerkey »

That did not work for me.

Whenever I select Handbrake, I get a notification that makemkv was blocked and the item in Application Management is switched off. I tried adding it while the root-launched application was still running and also after a quit and relaunch. The Application Management switch always disables itself.

I also tried removing all references to MakeMKV in Settings -> Privacy & Security and starting over.