Long time PC user, user of MakeMKV on MacOS

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
breadmanstu

Long time PC user, user of MakeMKV on MacOS

Post by breadmanstu »

Hi

I've been a very long time user of MakeMKV on PC and have recently changed over to using MakeMKV on my M1 Mac Mini using an external Pioneer drive.
I'm currently in the process of ripping my complete series of 'It aint half hot mum' to watch it using Plex.
I've ripped the first 3 seasons using the PC, and all went well and Plex can see the files fine. However season 4 was ripped using the Mac, all appeared to go well until I added the season to my NAS for access by Plex. Plex can't see the season folder.
Checking on the NAS the folder is present with all the correctly labelled episodes.

As a check I looked at the same files on my PC, and I've spotted a difference between the season ripped using the Mac and the first 3 which were ripped on the PC.
The episode files ripped with the Mac have a file type of .file
Whereas the ones ripped with the PC are .mkv and thus are proper media file types.

Is anybody able to point me in the right direction to correct this issue so that the file types show as .mkv when ripped using the Mac and so plex can recognise the files?

Thanks
dcoke22

Re: Long time PC user, user of MakeMKV on MacOS

Post by dcoke22 »

Are you saying that MakeMKV is producing files named "MyShow.file" instead of "MyShow.mkv"?
breadmanstu

Post by breadmanstu »

Yes that's correct
breadmanstu

Post by breadmanstu »

Just as a test I'm currently ripping a DVD using my MBP, and the file that is being saved is showing as .mkv instead of .file which is what was showing when using my Mac Mini.
So the issue appears to be with the Mac Mini, I'll investigate further to see if I can sort this out.