Direct Blu Ray playback with VLC

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tplusnine

Direct Blu Ray playback with VLC

Post by tplusnine »

Thanks in advance to all.

I see the closed thread concerning VLC direct blu ray play back posted by the moderator at the top of this Mac OS forum. It states that library file names are different for newer versions of Makemkv. I have done some searches but I am yet unable to find the answers. A lot of what I've found is dated.

How do I successfully enable VLC integration in Makemkv V. 1.17.5. Sonoma does not allow me to permit Makemkv to make changes to other apps. Toggling Makemkv to allow in Privacy & Security>App Management does not stay toggled, reverts back to subdued from blue enabled.

Secondly how do I get direct blu ray playback thru VLC with Makemkv?

VLC 3.0.20 silicon
SAMSUNG BD-RE TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB unable to re-flash
MacBook Pro M1
OS Sonoma V 14.1.1
Makemkv 1.17.5
cinemaslavejoe

Re: Direct Blu Ray playback with VLC

Post by cinemaslavejoe »

Exact same issue here. MakeMKV 1.17.5, and Sonoma 14.1.2. No matter how many times I allow MakeMKV access, it doesn't stay checked in the Privacy settings. Really frustrating.
Konten

Post by Konten »

Same here too. I am on Sonoma 14.2.1. I keep giving permission when prompted but the VLC integration box will always be unticked again when I go back into the MakeMKV settings and I just cannot get it to work.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks, guys!!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure if this will be helpful, but it is what I found when searching for letting applications on Sonoma access files in non-standard locations:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 1c911f/mac
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Konten

Post by Konten »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:06 pm
Not sure if this will be helpful, but it is what I found when searching for letting applications on Sonoma access files in non-standard locations:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 1c911f/mac
Thank you, Woodstock!! I've given MakeMKV full disc access which includes the Files and Folders access option and I've also given it App Management access so that it can integrate with VLC. Unfortunately, it just won't work anymore under Sonoma. The integration check box in MMKV never stays ticked after I close the dialog box and the App Management switch in MacOS preferences flips back to 'don't allow' even though I ok'd it after getting the prompt 'makemkv was prevented from modifying apps on your Mac'...

Oddly, no such issues with Handbrake integration.

This whole thing was already tricky to get to work under Ventura, initially giving me the exact same errors but in the end I was able to solve it by a restart or two after giving the above permissions.

I don't have a stand-alone Blu-ray player so this is really making things difficult for me...
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Others are having the same problem on Sonoma:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32110

It sorta seems like a macOS bug.
Konten

Post by Konten »

You're right, that's very possible... I've also been thinking though that it could be an issue with MakeMKV or even with VLC...

I've had other apps requesting the same permission and after I grant it, the selection remains enabled in the OS settings and doesn't toggle back.

Unfortunately, trying to enable Blu-ray playback manually using terminal doesn't work either anymore on my Sonoma system. I've used the commands described in this thread:

Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC player NOT WORKING Ventura
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29939

sudo su -
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libaacs.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libbdplus.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libmmdb.dylib

Is this working for anyone at the moment as far as we know? Any other ideas maybe?

Thanks, guys!!
katalinwhite

Post by katalinwhite »

Konten wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:26 pm
You're right, that's very possible... I've also been thinking though that it could be an issue with MakeMKV or even with VLC...

I've had other apps requesting the same permission and after I grant it, the selection remains enabled in the OS settings and doesn't toggle back.

Unfortunately, trying to enable Blu-ray playback manually using terminal doesn't work either anymore on my Sonoma system. I've used the commands described in this thread:

sudo su -
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libaacs.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libbdplus.dylib
ln -s /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd_new.dylib /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libmmdb.dylib

Is this working for anyone at the moment as far as we know? Any other ideas maybe?

Thanks, guys!!
What worked for me was installing both VLC and MakeMKV on the main hard disk, not running any shell commands, and just enable it in MakeMKV
i'm on the last MacOS
Konten

Post by Konten »

katalinwhite wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Konten wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:26 pm

sudo su -

Thanks, guys!!
What worked for me was installing both VLC and MakeMKV on the main hard disk, not running any shell commands, and just enable it in MakeMKV
i'm on the last MacOS
Thank you!! I just gave it another go, re-installed both apps, enabled everything in settings... and this time it worked!! :-)
iamschott

Post by iamschott »

I just saw this post and I had hope. Alas, I removed all the existing VLC and makemkv and resinstalled them from fresh downloads. Still automatic switch off switch on was in full force. No luck. I wish it would work by re-install no luck here. I never ever got it to work despite the seemingly good interface for you to enable.
jawwj

Post by jawwj »

I just found that running MakeMKV once as root, purely for the purpose of toggling the integration switch, seemed to make it stay on:

Code: Select all

sudo /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/makemkv
I can now play Blu Rays in VLC with menus disabled.

I've also installed Azul Java 8, but haven't got the Java menus to work so far.
Konten

Post by Konten »

iamschott wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:59 pm
I just saw this post and I had hope. Alas, I removed all the existing VLC and makemkv and resinstalled them from fresh downloads. Still automatic switch off switch on was in full force. No luck. I wish it would work by re-install no luck here. I never ever got it to work despite the seemingly good interface for you to enable.
It's a very weird thing... I think enabling it without then immediately trying to play a Blu-ray but first rebooting the machine a few times might have helped... I'm on Sonoma 14.2.1 and VLC 3.0.20.
iamschott

Post by iamschott »

i found a solution or workaround on reddit entitled Bug regarding macOS Ventura and MakeMKV Decryption Integration with VLC and it worked*. BUT there is always a BUT for some weird reason, now my region disc won't play, it says mis match. When I first launched VLC it asked to change Spotify I was thinking should it be makemkv. But I clicked OK. So maybe Spotify has some library that does the same decoding but honoring region code? I use makemkv it doesn't restrict anything based on region code, it was the only time i saw it. So I got VLC to play bluray directly only if region match, honestly I don't know what's checking what. I have a LG player with OWC enclosure, makemkv can rip but now VLC is region compliant for play back. Doesn't seem like VLC is getting the secret ingredient from makemkv. I don't know how to express it in a more coherent or tech way.
iamschott

Post by iamschott »

under VLC, Settings, Show all, Input / Codecs, Access modules, Blu-ray, to pick the region in case VLC doesn't want to play some region you want to play.