MakeMKV to Handbrake Subtitles

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
fr0z3ng33k

MakeMKV to Handbrake Subtitles

Post by fr0z3ng33k »

Ok so I watch a good bit of movies that have subtitles. I think the newest one is X-Men First Class (beginning in German). What is the proper step by step way to include subtitles when converting in Handbrake so that while I travel I don't need to bring my blu-ray for this movie and others like this. Everything I have tried has failed. This is in reference to any movie not just x-men.
Romansh

Re: MakeMKV to Handbrake Subtitles

Post by Romansh »

Romansh wrote:Two solutions:

1)

Find an SRT subtitle track with the subtitles you want; you can add it via HandBrake's subtitle panel or to an existing MP4 file with Subler. You will have soft text subtitles that you can enable/disable on your iOS devices.

2)

Extract the Blu-ray subtitles from the MakeMKV rip (with mkvextract), convert them to DVD subtitles (with BDSup2Sub), then combine the video and audio from the MakeMKV rip with the converted subtitles and create a new MKV file (with mkvmerge).

HandBrake will see the DVD subtitles and will be able to render them on the encoded video ("burn in"). You won't be able to toggle them on or off.
jfkyle

Re: MakeMKV to Handbrake Subtitles

Post by jfkyle »

I am finding it very difficult to use the tools provided in mkvtoolnix including mkvextract. I'm not a command line kind of person so a guided tour would be much appreciated. It seems that a lot of users are wondering the same thing. This will be extremely helpful with the following titles:

- Star Wars
- X-men: First Class

Please advise.