Application failed to initialize

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
skyzyx

Application failed to initialize

Post by skyzyx »

I've been searching via Google and this site for a few hours now, and haven't found anything that's helped me, so forgive me if I've overlooked something.

I'm running:
* Mac OS X 10.7.2 (latest beta; final release is next week)
* MakeMKV 1.6.15 (latest at this moment)
* daspi 1.3 (part of the 1.6.15 download)
* Buffalo MediaStation 6x Portable Blu-ray Drive

From what I can tell, I've done everything correctly, but every launch of MakeMKV.app immediately gives me a dialog box saying "Application failed to initialize". I've also attempted to downgrade to 1.6.14 and 1.6.8 with the same results.

I would be happy to take a look at a log file to see if I can discover the root of the problem, but I'm not sure where such a log file would be written (~/Library/Application Support/MakeMKV, maybe?). I'm pretty savvy, so don't worry about being overly technical. If I need to patch a file and compile something, I'm game.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
skyzyx

Re: Application failed to initialize

Post by skyzyx »

More details:

From Terminal, I ran `/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/makemkv`. This launched the GUI with the same error dialog I experienced before.

Next, I ran `/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/makemkvcon`. This gave me some help text. Good, something works.

Based on the message, I then ran `/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/makemkvcon list`. This gave me a "Failed to initialize" message. I think it would be a reasonable assumption to think that these messages are directly related.

Another note: I just bought my Blu-ray drive yesterday. Putting a BD disc in, it shows up in the Finder. But I've not yet run into an issue where I need to set the Region of the drive (as I've had to do for my DVD drive before). Could this be part of the issue?
skyzyx

Post by skyzyx »

More:

Code: Select all

[user@hostname: /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS ] $ ./makemkvcon -r --debug=~/makemkv.log list
MSG:1003,32,3,"DEBUG: Code 22 at QGVEQ\\\"8{9xi4wm*yvDIYov%t:29393769","DEBUG: Code %1 at %2:%3","22","QGVEQ\\\"8{9xi4wm*yvDIYov%t","29393769"
MSG:1003,32,3,"DEBUG: Code 0 at )HgOPNqqcjsd-vrW:213129593","DEBUG: Code %1 at %2:%3","0",")HgOPNqqcjsd-vrW","213129593"
Failed to initialize

[user@hostname: /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS ] $ cat ~/MakeMKV_log.txt 
Debug log started at Sun Oct  9 19:28:15 2011 , written by MakeMKV v1.6.15 darwin(x86-release)
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 22 at QGVEQ\"8{9xi4wm*yvDIYov%t:29393769
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at )HgOPNqqcjsd-vrW:213129593
I receive this message for 100% of the discs I try, and it even happens when there is no disc in the drive. As such, it isn't a disc issue.

Since Mac OS X doesn't have `ldd`, I used the equivalent `otool -L ./makemkvcon`:

./makemkvcon:
	@executable_path/libmakemkv.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	@executable_path/libdriveio.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.7, current version 0.9.7)
	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.1.4)
	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 476.19.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 32.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
skyzyx

Post by skyzyx »

Ah-hah! I needed to run it from the Terminal using `sudo`.

sudo /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/makemkv
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

skyzyx wrote:Ah-hah! I needed to run it from the Terminal using `sudo`.

Nope, normally you shouldn't. You must have permissions problem somewhere, please check permissions on your home and ~/.MakeMKV directories.
PDSeniura

Post by PDSeniura »

mike admin wrote:
skyzyx wrote:Ah-hah! I needed to run it from the Terminal using `sudo`.

Nope, normally you shouldn't. You must have permissions problem somewhere, please check permissions on your home and ~/.MakeMKV directories.
Hi,

I need to use sudo, too. My one-&-only user (with the default admin privs) sees the same popup after double-clicking the MakeMKV.app icon. I'm on 10.6.8 with latest security update v1.1.

I've already ran "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" as well -- while Apple leaves a lot of weird noises here, I didn't see anything to worry about.

I tried v1.7.1 and v1.7.2 of MakeMKV, installed the provided daspi.pkg, and I did successfully type-in the super-long regkey (paid*, never expire) (BTW a copy-&-paste did not work for the fill-in box, I had to type it in character-by-character ;) ).

Please let me know if I can be of help further. I don't mind getting nitty-gritty with the Terminal and BSD (a deep hobby with me) but I do need exact instructions please.

* - order reference number 11189359, 2012-01-31 02:47:20 date/time when placed.

P.S. I won't update to the Lion systems, I still need Rosetta functionality, plus we hear Apple won't support 32-bit EFI/BIOS any longer (starting with Mountain Lion) even tho my machine has Core2Duo and runs most tasks as 64-bit (maybe I could tinker with what this article covers: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1123.0.html). If I must buy another machine, it will be a pure open-source system (my "dream machine"). Sorry for digressing like this, but I've learned to try covering the bases before they're asked. ;)