How do I Rip a Blu Ray without taking up over a terabyte?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Mark Mangini

How do I Rip a Blu Ray without taking up over a terabyte?

Post by Mark Mangini »

Once makeMKV has scanned my disc, it shows a menu of "titles", in the case of the Blu Ray I am trying to rip, it shows (a commercial film) there over 50 with no "description" of what any given title or file is. In fact, a large percentage of them are exactly the same file size (in this case 29.5gB) and show the same number of chapters (16). In the old days of ripping DVD's you could tell which file or title-set was the feature film by the size of the file. Not so here.

The film I am ripping has 16 chapters, as it happens, yet there are over 30 different references to a file of the same size with the same number of chapters, once the disc is scanned. Expanding any given title or file shows the exact same set of choices for video format, subtitles, audio content etc. I assumed that I could select just one of these titles and burn it with the appropriate check boxes selected yet when I select "makeMKV", I am presented presents me with a "warning" message stating that ripping "could" take up to 1590678mB of space (over a terabyte) and the target disc may not be large enough. How can this be? And why can I not select just one of these titles and rip it and get the movie? Further, it appears that, if makeMKV is going to rip successfully, I need to deselect SUBTITLES for every one of the files that the scan bring up. Is there not a way to set a global preference for AUDIO format, SUBTITLES off, VIDEO format, etc?

When I tried ripping, in spite of all these difficulties, I got a series of MKV files, some with subtitles, some not. I aborted after 500gB of ripping and a large list of individual "chapters" of the film being ripped but not stitched tougher as a film.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there any way to figure out what title set or file is what so I know what to select to rip?