Hitchcock - The Lady Vanishes

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
mkvgeekyyc

Hitchcock - The Lady Vanishes

Post by mkvgeekyyc »

Not sure if this will be of any help to anyone in future but I thought I would record it anyway.

When ripping a copy of Alfred Hitchcock - The Lady Vanishes, Criterion Collection I took out of the library I got a "Backup failed" at the end of the rip using version 1.7.8.

Protection: AACS v27
Data capacity: 43.68 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

The disk would not play in my cheap Seiki BD660 player, but it will play using the Blu-ray Player app on a MacBook Pro with ML10.8.2 in a Samsung SE-506AB USB drive.

The ripped file will also play with Blu-ray Player app.
mike admin

Re: Hitchcock - The Lady Vanishes

Post by mike admin »

Please enable debug log per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/catid/6 and post the log here.
bigmack3000

Post by bigmack3000 »

Was this ever solved? I tried making MKV files and backing up my copy yesterday and received failed messages. Assuming I had a bad copy, I then went to the library and tried their copy. Same thing.

I'm trying to make a debug report now, but sometimes makemkv slows down to a halt, and just won't finish. Should I force quit MakeMKV at that point to finish the report?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Slows to a halt" usually means the drive is trying VERY HARD to recover sectors. You might see time-out errors when this happens, depending on the drive and how long it actually takes to read the sector.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bigmack3000

Post by bigmack3000 »

So if this happens across multiple copies is there any work around?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It can. I've detailed elsewhere that I went through multiple copies of the Hercules TV series on DVD, trying to get one particular episode to rip. Even rented it to try and get a good copy. Every one failed at the same sector on the rip.

Finally had to rip it with a genuine DVD drive, because Bluray drives just could not see that sector with a blue laser.

Do you have access to another BD drive to try the rip? With any multi-layer disk, the transition to another layer can cause issues like you are experiencing, as the laser re-focuses. That sort of error will occur at the same point on any copy of the disk.

When you remove the disk from the drive, does it seem to be unusually warm? Some drives go out of calibration when they get too hot. I took one out of ripping service earlier the year that would be fine for the first dozen or so disks, then start to fail. Switching the failed disk to one of the other drives, it read just fine. That drive is now a boot disk, where it won't get hot anymore.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

Something I've noticed with ripping standard DVD's that might help in this instance.

Once I installed the patch to a new external blu-ray/UHD drive so it would properly handle UHD media, the drive no longer likes regular DVD media. It would eventually just grind to halt during the initial scan process.
Fortunately, I still had my original external blu-ray drive which works just fine for DVD media.

As Arsenio Hall was given to say "Something to make you go HMMMM."