Cutting down on artifacts

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tuyenvo

Cutting down on artifacts

Post by tuyenvo »

Any tips on how to reduce artifacts? Not many pop up (maybe 2-5 per movie) but as a perfectionist, you always want to find ways to eliminate these. I've bumped up the read buffer size to the max 2048 (running 4GB of RAM so it seems ok). What about the Read Retry Count? Any other ideas?
NomadCF

Re: Cutting down on artifacts

Post by NomadCF »

Do you have these artifacts, when you do the falling

1. Play the DVD/etc normally using the same player ?
2. Try playing just from a VOB/m2ts file(s) ?
3. Are they still there if you convert the file to a TS ?

PS. Is this a DVD ot Bluray ?
tuyenvo

Post by tuyenvo »

This is for Bluray discs (I have no issues with DVD rips). Testing out the other items you mentioned might be an issue because I don't have a Bluray player. I have a Bluray drive connected to my Mac Mini. Unfortunately, Mac OS does not support Bluray playback at the moment (maybe iTunes 9?) and I'm too lazy to install a Windows installation on Bootcamp. The discs I have are brand new so I'm sure there's no issue if I popped them into a standard Bluray player. I think it's more tiny artifacts that pop up during the ripping/encoding process.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

tiny artifacts that pop up during the ripping/encoding process

I'm not sure how that would be be possible, as the program just remuxes the video,audio,etc into a MKV from a vob or m2ts. So issues like this shouldn't be possible. It's not like trying to rip a music cd and worrying about jitter as the logic that makes music CD vulnerable to those issues doesn't apply to DVD with data,movies,etc . Personally I'm leaning towards a player issues. Is there another computer you can try to play the file on and see if the same thing happens ?

PS. What movie ?
tuyenvo

Post by tuyenvo »

This is for Iron Man and 300. The reason I think it's in the ripping/encoding process is that I've reripped/re-encoded the files 4 or 5 times and the artifacts pop up in different spots every time. To clarify, I'll rip Iron Man and then have an artifact show up at a certain point in the movie. I replay that same segment a few times just to make sure it wasn't a temporary hiccup from the Mac Mini and the artifact comes up exactly at the same place/time. I'll then rerip the movie and the artifact from the last rip is gone but another one pops up at another point in the movie that wasn't there from the first rip. My logic leads me to think that the ripping/encoding process is the culprit.
CrazyJAT

Post by CrazyJAT »

I can confirm that this does happen. I have ripped dozens of blu-ray movies with no issues, but I recently bought the Jurassic Park boxed set and wanted to rip the discs to have a backup. All 3 discs had visual artifacts in them. Jurassic Park 1 had issues with scene changes where it would skip back 2 seconds and replace that part of the new scene. Jurassic Park 2 and 3 had parts where data corruption spanned multiple frames and about half way in the movies became unwatchable. The logs reported no issues reading any part of the disc. After inspection, the discs were clean, no prints scuffs or scratches. What am I to do to get a decent quality backup?

Also, the blu-ray discs play back just fine in my PS3 and Samsung Blu-ray player.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

What player are you using? Did you try another player?
OneFastSkater

Post by OneFastSkater »

I have the same issue. I use a Popcorn Hour C-200 NMT, HDMI to a Denon AVR4306, with video sourced from an iomega NAS. Every so often you will see a primarily horizontal artifact where several lines (20-40) display large blocks of color.
Drag0nFly

Post by Drag0nFly »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I was wondering if any of you were able to solve or work around this issue? I am currently experiencing this problem myself (glitches/video corruption/tearing & smearing on all MakeMKV generated MKVs, 2-3 times per title). To me it appears that the generated MKV file might not be fully compatible with certain players (VLC, XBMC), at least on OS X.

Naturally, if there is an easy workaround (either in MakeMKV itself or by modifying the MKV directly), I would be interested in knowing about it.
AKW_Kovu

Post by AKW_Kovu »

I've got the same problems. I am using 10.8.4 and makemkv 1.8.3.

I've ripped The Book of Eli a total of four times now and get more or less serious distortions through the film at about 2 or 3 parts of the movie. Every time I rip it it's at different locations and with different intensities.

As of now makemkv 1.8.3 seems very broken to me.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

AKW_Kovu wrote:I've got the same problems. I am using 10.8.4 and makemkv 1.8.3.

I've ripped The Book of Eli a total of four times now and get more or less serious distortions through the film at about 2 or 3 parts of the movie. Every time I rip it it's at different locations and with different intensities.

As of now makemkv 1.8.3 seems very broken to me.
Please post the log. You're the only one who reports such a serious issue (producing damaged files).

p.s. You are hopefully not trying to write from Mac OS to a NAS using windows file sharing?
AKW_Kovu

Post by AKW_Kovu »

I think the problem was with my SSD. I was getting error messages about some logical errors on it, forcing me to reformat and play my backup in.

It is now working again (tried Aladdin and Book of Eli so far). Right now I am trying to different movies, too.