Full screen instead of letter box

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tuyenvo

Full screen instead of letter box

Post by tuyenvo »

Just did another rip of Sin City (Bluray). I've noticed that certain movies when converted using the MakeMKV software won't have the black letter box rows. Since I don't have a Bluray player and Mac OS can't playback Bluray discs I don't know if these movies ever had the letter box rows or not. Here are the ones so far:

Sin City
The Dark Knight
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Not exactly a big deal (except for Dark Knight which has slight stuttering issues) but I kinda missed the letter box. Any thoughts?
ematthys

Re: Full screen instead of letter box

Post by ematthys »

I think its just a matter of the aspect ratio on the original blu-ray.

I actually quite like having the movie fill up the entire television screen.

The stuttering is likely a cause of your machine not keeping up with the video, not a problem with the video itself.
tuyenvo

Post by tuyenvo »

My machine's pretty beefy so I'd be surprised if it was caused by that. Hey Mike, are you going to incorporate any of the new OpenCL features of Snow Leopard to boost the processing power of the software?
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

incorporate any of the new OpenCL features of Snow Leopard to boost the processing power of the software
This would and will do nothing for MakeMKV as MakeMKV does not encode or alter the video or audio, it simply "copies/extracts" the parts requested in there native formats and puts them into another container. It's no different then pouring a glass of ice water into a plastic cup without ice. Alls your doing is moving the water and while MakeMKV doesn't move anything it does copy it.
ematthys

Post by ematthys »

Do you use Plex for playback? If so I would give it a try, it tends to handle 1080p much better than other video players on the Mac.

Edit: Just read a previous post of yours with your system specs. I don't have any other ideas as far as stuttering problems go.
tuyenvo

Post by tuyenvo »

Hey Nomad,

I get your explanation but it doesn't really explain why after ripping the same bluray disc two times, the artifacts pop up in different places. I might not fully understand how the software works but something happened during the ripping process that caused the artifacts to occur. If it was an issue with the bluray disc or my drive, shouldn't the artifacts pop up at exactly the same place?

Since developers will need to code specifically for OpenCL, it'll be up to Mike whether he makes use of it. I agree the effect may be zero, but it would be nice to know from him whether he thinks there will be any benefit.

Tuyen
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

1. I've never even tired to speak on behave of any one.

2. The software just demux's the wanted parts from the m2ts into a MKV. I don't know how else to explain it. So the only ways artifacts can generated are..
A: Dirty Drive or Disc
B: Ram going bad
C: CPU issues (over heating, over loaded,)
D: Drive issues (write errors)
E: Simply playback issues could be player
2.1. And YES if it is any of the above, the artifacts *could* popup anywhere OR no where some times.

3. It's not "effect may be zero" the effect is ZERO. OpenCL or any type GPU processing only works on playback OR ENCODING and makemkv does NEITHER. it HAS NO EFFECT on handling files or the data inside while not doing either of the before mentioned. And if you think about it for a second, how would it help the process , as the process already moves at the rate of the data source and destination. So including CPU processing CAN'T in anyways what so ever make your bluray,ISO,etc read any faster.