MKV ONLY or FULL DISC IMAGE (ISO)

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
coolcambo

MKV ONLY or FULL DISC IMAGE (ISO)

Post by coolcambo »

Hi
Even though it is states "MakeMKV", I just wanted to see if you can rip a full disc image, therefore forming it into an ".iso" file?

If not, can anyone recommend software that is NOT DVDFab. (Who really wants to pay $60!)

Thanks!
Coolcambo
P.S. Mac DVDRipperPro does Full Disc Images. DVD ONLY. NOT BLU-RAY. 5 RIP TRIAL. BUY $24.95.
Ravenwood

Re: MKV ONLY or FULL DISC IMAGE (ISO)

Post by Ravenwood »

MakeMKV can create a full disc backup, but it creates a folder and not an ISO. So you have to create the ISO yourself with Disk Utility. I followed this guide:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1135728/createiso.html
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

As far as I recall, it copies the Bluray disc to a folder, not to an ISO. It doesn't do this for DVDs, which it only rips to mkv files.

SC
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are other tools for creating ISO files of DVDs and BDs. MakeMKV is not what you want if you're wanting an ISO.

As mentioned, MakeMKV can create a decrypted (optionally) copy of a BD's file structure, which some players can read, or it can create MKV files of the titles within that directory structure.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Fabio88

Post by Fabio88 »

In which case should I prefer the ISO instead of the directory structure of MakeMKV?
thanks helping me understanding how this world works!
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

To make an full (decrypted) ISO image of your blu-ray using MakeMKV, you first need to create a decrypted backup using MakeMKV to a target folder. Then you can use a freeware disc/ISO image creation tool (like ImgBurn) to generate an ISO image of your blu-ray. Pretty easy! :)