Subtitles on Marvels The Avengers

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
bpwhistler

Subtitles on Marvels The Avengers

Post by bpwhistler »

Ripping BD 'The Avengers.' My rip turns out fine with regards to AV, but I can't seem to get the right settings for subtitles. In an early part of the film their is some Russian language. I'm trying to get the English forced subtitles to show up. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this. I know very little, and rely on the software and the UI to make the 'magic' happen. My ignorance in this case is obviously affecting my outcomes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles on Marvels The Avengers

Post by Woodstock »

How many subtitle tracks are shown for each language?

If it is TWO, then one is the "forced" subtitles, the other is a complete set. There probably are NO subtitles tagged as "forced".

In my collection, there is only one BD, Avatar, that actually implements forced subtitles within a larger subtitle track. Everything else has one track for forced, one track for everything.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

Thanks Woodstock...

There are three english subtitle tracks with each having a 'child' forced subtitle track. My last rip I selected all of them.

Cheers.

Brett
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's actually pretty common. Sometimes, the "extra" track(s) is for a secondary audio stream with commentary, or it simply IS the commentary.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

Glad to know it's common for future rips. I still don't understand why my forced subtitles aren't showing even after I select all of the subtitle (and children) tracks.

Cheers.
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

Woodstock wrote:How many subtitle tracks are shown for each language?

If it is TWO, then one is the "forced" subtitles, the other is a complete set. There probably are NO subtitles tagged as "forced".

In my collection, there is only one BD, Avatar, that actually implements forced subtitles within a larger subtitle track. Everything else has one track for forced, one track for everything.
I noticed this with 'Olympus Has Fallen'. Took me a bit to figure out what the hell one subtitle track was for that 'appeared' empty (never displayed any text). Found out it was the subs for the Korean language spoken like 5 times in the entire movie.
Bossone

Post by Bossone »

I seem to have the opposite problem.... I can get rid of the subtitles, esp in Iron Man 3 and Star Trek
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What are you using to play the files?

VLC, as an example, unless told otherwise, will play the first subtitle track it finds in the language you set as a preference. On movies like Star Trek, that is a full text subtitle track.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Make sure the flags are set to default:no, forced:no.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch