Reintroduce Mac OS X 10.5 compatibility!

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
johnchau95

Reintroduce Mac OS X 10.5 compatibility!

Post by johnchau95 »

I am not happy with what you are doing with eliminating Mac OS X 10.5 compatibility. Don't forget there are still people out there using Mac OS X 10.5. So please retool version 1.8.6 of MakeMKV and make it compatible with Mac OS X 10.6, because every time I tried to used it, it kept quitting repeatedly, and re-downloading the previous version didn't help either. Please see sense in what you're doing and reintroduce Mac OS X 10.5 compatibility for good.
mike admin

Re: Reintroduce Mac OS X 10.5 compatibility!

Post by mike admin »

Its complicated. May I ask why are you keeping 10.5? AFAIK the 1.6 runs on exactly the same hardware as 10.5, and is better in pretty much every sense.
johnchau95

Post by johnchau95 »

Mike, you could ask everyone using Mac OS X 10.5 the same question, and although the reason may change between people, they still need everything to be compatible. I see myself being one of those people who can't upgrade and can't push themselves to do it and have been accustomed to OS X 10.6. The real question is are you gonna start rethinking eliminating OS X 10.5 compatibility because that compatibility is now more important than ever?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

johnchau95 wrote:The real question is are you gonna start rethinking eliminating OS X 10.5 compatibility because that compatibility is now more important than ever?
Please give me one single reason why anyone would use 10.5 in place of 10.6 . It is very unlikely that 10.5 compatibility will be back. So far your only option is to use MakeMKV 1.8.5 from /download/old
Ravenwood

Post by Ravenwood »

10.5 came out in 2007. That's 200 years ago in computer years.

I wouldn't want the developer to waste time and money on continue to get MakeMKV to work on an OS that's not even supported by Apple, and used by a tiny amount of customers.

(I'm currently using 10.8.5 myself)
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

My reason is nobody is going to replace my printer and there is no AppleTalk in 10.6.

Then again, I use MakeMKV on my peecee so it's a moot point for me. :wink:

SC
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Smithcraft wrote:My reason is nobody is going to replace my printer
Not even yourself?

Out of curiosity, which model is it exactly?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

LaserWriter Select 360.

Built like a tank, and will most likely outlast me!

I've almost been thinking of getting one of the workgroup LaserWriters which where Ethernet based.

SC
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Not sure if this helps at all, but: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA35778
ejonesss

Post by ejonesss »

mike admin wrote:Its complicated.

yes you are right Its complicated because to make something more compatible many os specific stuff would have to be done with bloated code.

for example

lets say

repeat with x = 1 to 10
delay 1
print x
end repeat

is the specific for doing the display of a counting

now the bloated way

print "1"
delay 1
print "2"
delay 1
print "3"
delay 1
print "4"
delay 1
print "5"
delay 1
print "6"
delay 1
print "7"
delay 1
print "8"
delay 1
print "9"
delay 1
print "10"
delay 1

so easily if you wanted to even make it work in ppc via tiger's rosetta you probably would need to have a file exceeding 200 meg or more

i think it may be possible to make makemkv modular where the main code stays the same and the boot loader (the code that runs first when double clicking) would be os specific.

it may be possible to get away with doing it in java virtual machine since (i dont think) the basic extraction/backup copying to a folder requires a lot of cpu since (i think) you are just decrypting and copying the data.

so thereby for us users who use makemkv to backup or decrypt and copy the disk to a folder and use other programs to convert to different formats can at least have somewhat futureproofness
julianlb

Post by julianlb »

mike admin wrote:
johnchau95 wrote:The real question is are you gonna start rethinking eliminating OS X 10.5 compatibility because that compatibility is now more important than ever?
Please give me one single reason why anyone would use 10.5 in place of 10.6 . It is very unlikely that 10.5 compatibility will be back. So far your only option is to use MakeMKV 1.8.5 from /download/old
Is there any chance that you could please drop the last 10.5 supporting version back into /download/old? Got an old G5 Quad with several big disks that I would like to use to extract files to, unfortunately it is stuck on 10.5 and having access to the older version of MakeMKV would be very useful!

Thanks
Julian