Using MakeMKV to enable VLC Blu-Ray playback

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
tribble

Using MakeMKV to enable VLC Blu-Ray playback

Post by tribble »

Hi,

OS X 10.8.5; MakeMKV 1.8.9; VLC 2.1.2

I just found that Sticky the other day and gave it a shot, but all I'm getting from VLC is errors that cause it to hang when I try to open a Blu-Ray disc. Here's how I set it up:

Code: Select all

Computer-1:lib REDACTED: ls -l
total 16
lrwxr-xr-x  1 REDACTED  staff    69B 26 Mar 19:56 libaacs.dylib -> /Users/REDACTED/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 REDACTED  staff    69B 26 Mar 19:56 libbdplus.dylib -> /Users/REDACTED/Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/lib/libmmbd.dylib
Computer-1:lib REDACTED: pwd
/Users/REDACTED/lib
I'm attempting to play BRs by either dragging-and-dropping the disc into VLC's interface, or opening the HDMV file directly through the menu. Either way, it fails. The errors in VLC are:

-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
-- logger module stopped --
?-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
mkv error: Dummy element too large or misplaced at 28678288789... skipping to next upper element
mkv error: cannot find any cluster, damaged file ?
es error: cannot peek
ps error: cannot peek
mjpeg error: cannot peek
mpgv error: cannot peek
ps error: cannot peek
dts: DTS channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:1536000
libbluray: First play: 0, Top menu: 0
HDMV Titles: 93, BD-J Titles: 10, Other: 10
main error: open of `bluray:///Volumes/GOOD_WILL_HUNTING' failed
^^THE LAST THREE LINES OF THE ABOVE LOG THEN REPEAT INFINITELY, CAUSING VLC TO HANG^^

libbluray: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
HDMV Titles: 9, BD-J Titles: 0, Other: 0
main error: open of `bluray:///Volumes/PONTYPOOL' failed
^^THE LAST THREE LINES OF THE ABOVE LOG THEN REPEAT INFINITELY, CAUSING VLC TO HANG^^
I'm posting this here because it's based on a MakeMKV hint; if it seems this is a VLC error, just tell me and I'll re-post there instead.
mike admin

Re: Using MakeMKV to enable VLC Blu-Ray playback

Post by mike admin »

Please try running vlc with MMBD diagnostic output:

MMBD_TRACE=2 vlc bluray:///Volumes/GOOD_WILL_HUNTING