DASPI Kernel Extension and Yosemite -> End of the game ?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Olivier

DASPI Kernel Extension and Yosemite -> End of the game ?

Post by Olivier »

Hi,

It seems that the latest DASPI driver is no more working in OS X Yosemite.
What will be the impact not using it in Yosemite ?
Any chance to get a "compatible" version ?
MJFieser

Re: DASPI Kernel Extension and Yosemite -> End of the game ?

Post by MJFieser »

I'm not sure what happened for you, but everything installed (and worked) just fine for me.
AKW_Kovu

Post by AKW_Kovu »

You don't need DASPI anymore. I am not sure since which version it was, but I think it was like 10.7.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

AKW_Kovu wrote:You don't need DASPI anymore. I am not sure since which version it was, but I think it was like 10.7.
Correction - You don't need DASPI anymore (with 99.9% of blu-ray drives). MakeMKV will tell you explicitly if you need it. And no, DASPI should work on Yosemite. If not, then it's a bug that will be fixed soon.
matthewamel

Post by matthewamel »

MakeMKV has been working perfectly with DASPI on my iMac for years.

Today, I updated to 1.9.0 with DASPI 1.5 and now it only reads the drive in 'OS mode'.

What happened to DASPI?

I am running a Late 2009 iMac with OSX 10.10.1

Thanks.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Short answer - unless MakeMKV gives you a message "Please install DASPI", you don't need DASPI at all. For your drive the OS mode is as good as DASPI.

Long answer - Apple requires driver signing in Yosemite and DASPI is not signed. Therefore it is not loaded by the OS kernel. If you wonder why DASPI 1.4 worked, this is because Apple white-listed certain drivers at the moment of Yosemite release - there is a fixed list of drivers that do not require signature. Obviously, recognizing how cool MakeMKV is, Apple added all versions of DASPI to the white list. So in fact DASPI v 1.4. can be loaded on Yosemite. The problem is that DASPI 1.4 is not compatible with Yosemite in the worst possible way - it loads and even appears to work fine, but it could lead to system instability. So loading 1.4 on Yosemite is really not recommended. However the degree of incompatibility is not known, so it might just work as well. You can load 1.5 on Yosemite, but you'll have to change system policy on driver signing. The sticky post lists how to do this. However, this can be advised ONLY if your drive doesn't work without DASPI.
dharvey1221

Post by dharvey1221 »

Is there a way for me to delete DASPI and reinstall? I have been using the same Blu ray drive for years Lite-On hos104 attached USB from a external drive enclosure. Not sure what came first me upgrading to Yosemite or upgrading DASPI but now blu rays won't mount. DVD will mount no problem with same drive. Same symptoms on two different macs. Even with security turned off (signing) Make MKV sees the drive but says to upgrade DASPI even with it on 1.5.

Upgraded firmware on the drive, still same results. Tried different ext enclosure same results.
I tried installing 1.3 couldn't see the drive
I tried Installing 1.4 Doesn't mount but sees the drive says to install DASPI
I tried Installing 1.5 Doesn't mount but sees the drive says to install DASPI

Purchased a LG external Blu ray player CP50NS20, box says compatible with OS X but it doesn't even mount DVD's. It could be bad, but researching online it could be a problem with signing. Maybe Yosemite is blocking 3rd party drives?

Any help would be greatly appreciated purchased Make MKV back in 2011 and its been great so far.

Debug log started at Fri Dec 12 01:26:43 2014 , written by MakeMKV v1.9.0 darwin(x86-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.9.0 darwin(x86-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/daharvey/MakeMKV_log.txt
002010:0000 Optical drive "DVD+R-DL MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-8A8 HB14d" opened in OS access mode.
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 3758097095 at -N\{sn}^#-.2y1g+kyB3mmnx4:29395540
002010:0000 Optical drive "BD-ROM ATAPI iHOS104 WL0G" opened in OS access mode.
002015:0000 It's highly recommended to install DASPI kernel extension to improve performance.
dharvey1221

Post by dharvey1221 »

So I found the DASPI sticky. Installed 1.5 with the terminal instructions. Now is showing DASPI 1.5, no disc inserted.

At one point of unplugging and plugging back in the LG portable drive it actually mounted the blu ray. When I killed MKV to relaunch it to see if it would access the blu ray the drive dropped and and I could not remount.

Brain fried for the evening
dharvey1221

Post by dharvey1221 »

Reloaded Yosemite and it did not solve the issue. Purchased a Asus SBC 06D2XU. Mounts Blu and DVD no problem. Ripping a movie currently so I will see how it goes. Hope this helps anyone looking for a drive.
iPadawan

Post by iPadawan »

Would it be nice to mention the 'no need to install the daspi pkg, unless..' in the read-me document ( in the downloaded dmg )?
Adidas_littleman

Post by Adidas_littleman »

So I installed the DASPI 1.5 and my computer did a kernel panic. It killed an external hard drive. All because I am stupid and didn't pull the cord out when it got stuck in a boot- kernel panic crash and restart. I had to manually uninstall the packages in safe mode before I could get my computer functional again. I wouldn't include this package in the main dmg offer it as a only when ya need it link on ya web site and say not for Yosemite!