MakeMKV OSX - Non-Compliant Output File

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
mike admin

Re: MakeMKV OSX - Non-Compliant Output File

Post by mike admin »

Only the latest "snapshot" version of VLC can play VC-1 video. Please check MKV files with MKVToolnix whether they have VC-1 video tracks.
lavalamp

Post by lavalamp »

Thanks for the heads up Mike! I didn't realise there were so many gotchyas! :) I'm pleased to report that your suggestion of removing the Subtitles has worked, and I have managed to get all my titles working in HandBrake, Just need to go back and add the subtitles where required, its amazing how many movies have Subtitles forced, thanks again, MakeMKV is a great tool! :D
captain

Post by captain »

EDIT: Ok. I'll see if I can get the latest "snapshot" VLC, I assume y'all mean http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/mac ... l/?C=M;O=D

EGADS! The nightly build just totally fubars the audio. Still no video. And on VCBarcelona NOTHING plays, just a big white rectangle. So is VC-1 blu-ray's unbreakable DRM?? sucks :-(

Strangely, the version I have been using played the VC1 VIDEO track of Vicky Christina Barcelona without the audio, but is playing the audio track of DrWho-Planet of the Dead without any video. weird.

Ditto the below with TWO different copies of Doctor Who - "Planet of the Dead". Let me know if I can report anything of value to you soon, else I'm returning this to the store! I refuse to pay for crap that is this DRM crippled.

Casey4147 wrote:I've run into this as well. MakeMKV rips the Blu-Ray disc, files of appropriate size are created, but Handbrake (neither the official release nor the above-linked version) recognize the output files. Tried opening them in VLC and got the following errors:

"No suitable decoder module VLC does not support the audio or video format "WVC1". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

"No suitable decoder module VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

The audio plays, but there's no video.

Discs attempted were the first two discs from the new Doctor Who - The Complete Specials boxed sets - "The Next Doctor" and "Planet of the Dead".

Love this application - you're enabling me to watch my Blu-Ray discs on my MacBook Pro, something Apple doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do. Many thanks for the work.
captain

Post by captain »

Okay. I didn't get any request to help here, so I'm taking the Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead disc back today. It was a pretty massive failure of MakeMKV though, and I had hoped that I could help in resolving it. Being able to rip ALL blu-rays into a format that PS3/AppleTV/etc. can play would make this a Killer App. No offense to all the great work Mike has already done! I'm just saying, it's still in beta for a reason. :-)
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

captain wrote:It was a pretty massive failure of MakeMKV though, and I had hoped that I could help in resolving it. […] I'm just saying, it's still in beta for a reason. :-)
Yeah, big MakeMKV failure! It likely produced a perfectly valid MKV file, but since VLC doesn't support interlaced VC-1, it's obviously MakeMKV's fault.

captain wrote:It would be awesome if MakeMKV would recognize that the blu-ray to be ripped is encoded in MicroS**t's VC-1 format, or whatever, and since we all know that VC-1 is problematic, maybe MakeMKV could pop up an alert, and give some options on how to most effectively deal with this fact. e.g.: "This disc is encoded with MicroS**t's crappy VC-1 codec which VLC won't understand. Would you like me to transcode it to 264.H or something so it will play on your PS3?"
The whole point of MakeMKV is that it does NOT transcode.

If you want to transcode your rip, try RipBot264 - it should be able to use Microsoft's VC-1 decoder and let you transcode your rip to H.264.