Easy way to batch remix to fix subtitles?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
wcndave

Easy way to batch remix to fix subtitles?

Post by wcndave »

I have a bunch of mkv files that seem to be all over the place, from the same season of the same show.

Some show english by default, others German, some show nothing by default, and some show the 4th or 5th subtitle...

They all had the same rip settings, so not sure what's going on, however I'd quite like to batch fix them.

For example I know that I want the second track to always be default, and the 8th track forced (as they are all from same series, so consistent).

Any way to do that? I hear about post-processing, however couldn't find any specifics.

thanks

Dave
Woodstock

Re: Easy way to batch remix to fix subtitles?

Post by Woodstock »

Search for "mkvtoolnix" in your favorite search engine. You can use mkvmerge from that group of tools to do what you want.

There is a graphic user interface for it that can be used with one file to create a "batch file command", which you can copy and paste into an editor, and create a batch script to handle all the other files by changing the file names.

The most important part, in my experience, is to make sure the subtitle track you want as default is the FIRST one found in the MKV file. Only a few players seem to respect things like "default" or "forced" flags, so while you should make sure they're properly set, they should not be relied upon.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging