Oppo BDP-83 New Firmware

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Krobar

Oppo BDP-83 New Firmware

Post by Krobar »

MakeMKV full rate BD rips now stream OK over DLNA with this player.

I'm guessing this is now the most BD player and streamer solution, DVD and BD rips stream fine. Still some issues with VC-1 appearing in a small window and LPCM tracks but considering it didnt support streaming at all when released I think it will end up a stable solution within the next 6 months.

Update: Still getting hard locks on lots of full rate files. I doubt this is caused by MakeMKV.
cozzmo

Re: Oppo BDP-83 New Firmware

Post by cozzmo »

I realise this is an old thread, but its specific to the issues i'm having too so figured i'd bump it up.

Every movie i have converted with MakeMKV freezes within a minute or two of playback on the BDP-83 when played over network, other movies made with other programs have no problems. I converted an HD-DVD and it played back end to end without issues with and old version of RipBot264 (was an old file that i did ages ago). I tried several movies, including again the same movie in the drive using the stream option and all had playback issues (stuttering, freezing, slow response/lack of proper control).

One thing i found is that the player becomes very slowly responsive when playing back movies converted with MakeMKV, fast forward seems almost limited to 1x> where as other files that have no playback issues are happy to skip along at 4x> and remote response remains sharp.

I am using serviio 0.4.1, and as mentioned i tried the stream option with MakeMKV.

Did you ever find a solution to the issues you were having ? Firmware on the player is the latest available (no updates are available according to the player).
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

Hi Cozzmo,

Things improved with the current firmware, DVD rips are perfect but most Bluray rips hard lock between 2 and 30mins in. I'm pretty sure it is not a MakeMKV issue though, the BDP-83 just cant handle high rate MKVs (Yet?).
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

I have found that demux and remuxing a MakeMKV made file with mkvmerge fixes previous early lock locations (that were repeatable), but movies like avatar which have frequent high birates will still stutter. I haven't played a movie all the way through to test this, but i think the point that previous locations that would lock don't after a demux and remux says there must be something going on there in the file, but i really don't know enough about it all to have any ideas. Cheers.
ocostich

Post by ocostich »

cozzmo wrote:I realise this is an old thread, but its specific to the issues i'm having too so figured i'd bump it up.

Every movie i have converted with MakeMKV freezes within a minute or two of playback on the BDP-83 when played over network, other movies made with other programs have no problems. I converted an HD-DVD and it played back end to end without issues with and old version of RipBot264 (was an old file that i did ages ago). I tried several movies, including again the same movie in the drive using the stream option and all had playback issues (stuttering, freezing, slow response/lack of proper control).

One thing i found is that the player becomes very slowly responsive when playing back movies converted with MakeMKV, fast forward seems almost limited to 1x> where as other files that have no playback issues are happy to skip along at 4x> and remote response remains sharp.

I am using serviio 0.4.1, and as mentioned i tried the stream option with MakeMKV.

Did you ever find a solution to the issues you were having ? Firmware on the player is the latest available (no updates are available according to the player).

Sorry to report that the BDP-93 has the same problems.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Dang.

I got a WDTV to do streaming over the network. Has a few downsides compared to the Oppo, but at least i don't have issues with freezing and stuff.

Shame that the '93 has it too, i was considering it as it had a few features that the 83 really lacked for media support, like NTFS and eSATA.

Thanks for your post.
Jugin

Post by Jugin »

I got a WDTV Live, and want to stream it with my macbook. I have turned sharing on, I put a video file in my shared folder, and then I went and looked at my WDTV live, and went under "network shares", my macbook's name showed up, I go and click it, and there is a user name, called "anomonyus", (I know mispelled), and then I replaced that with my computer network name, and then I pressed log in, and I get an message, "media cannot be accessed". I do not know what to do. Anyone here know how to fix this problem?