Does MakeMKV strip DVD user data from the video track?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
faginbagin

Does MakeMKV strip DVD user data from the video track?

Post by faginbagin »

I ask because I've got some DVDs that have no "vobsub" type subtitles, but do have closed captions. And it's my understanding these CCs are carried in the video track in what is called user data.

I have found that ccextractor (from http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/) cannot find the CC data when it is given the MakeMKV version of a title known to contain CC data. But, if I rip the title a second time using mplayer to get it as a MPEG-PS stream, then ccextractor CAN extract the CCs and convert them to .srt files.

It would save me a lot of time if I didn't have to rip these titles twice, so I'd like to understand why I can't use ccextractor on the MakeMKV rip. My guess is that MakeMKV is stripping the user data. If I'm right, I'd like to ask that it not do that, because it is stripping information that's important to a lot of people, and not just the hard of hearing. If I'm wrong, I'd welcome some theories on why ccextractor can't find the user data. I'll use that to investigate the ccextractor source.

I'd also like to say I think MakeMKV is a great tool. It's very robust, doesn't crash just because a DVD isn't perfectly clean, rips what it can, and when a DVD title is in good shape, I haven't had a single bad rip. So far, I've filled up 1.2 TB from our DVD library using MakeMKV.

Thanks for reading,
Helen