DIVX 8 codec/player

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
stavarotti

DIVX 8 codec/player

Post by stavarotti »

Hi all,

In an effort to have a "lean" mediacenter box, I uninstalled all codecs and started from scratch with the DIVX 8 codec pack. The problem however, appears to be that MKV's made using MakeMKV 1.5.4 and greater do not play in mediacenter at all. At first I thought that this was an installation issue but I then I was able to play another mkv I created using handbrake without any issues proving that the DIVX 8 codec actually works for playing back MKVs. So how is it that I am not able to play any mkv's created using MakeMKV but able to play others made with Handbrake? Is it because handbrake changes the stream to h.264 whereas MakeMKV leaves the stream as MPEG-2? Is it the inclusion of AC3 audio (I do have AC3 filter installed)?

Any help will be appreciated, and thanks for MakeMKV, it is by far the simplest video-ripping tool I have used to date.
NomadCF

Re: DIVX 8 codec/player

Post by NomadCF »

Sounds like a bad codec install/setup. MKV does leave the streams as is, meaning DVDs are Mpeg2/etc and blurays are h264/etc.

Trying playing the Files in VLC Portable (no installation needed), if that works like I suspect it will. Then it is a codec/player issue.