Playing makemkv files on Oppo 103

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
bwillcox

Playing makemkv files on Oppo 103

Post by bwillcox »

I have what I think is a very simple/newbe question. What do I need to do to play a Blu-ray that I have ripped with makemkv? When I selected any of the files in the directory heirarchy that makemkv created the best I can get (on some of them such as the m2ts files) is a dialog box telling me the the file type is not supported. What am I missing or doing wrong here? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Playing makemkv files on Oppo 103

Post by Woodstock »

Are you trying to play MKV files created by opening the disk and saving to MKV, or files created by using the Backup function?

If you are using the Backup function, did you decrypt the files during the backup, or leave them encrypted?

The Oppo should play MKV files just fine.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bwillcox

Post by bwillcox »

Woodstock wrote:Are you trying to play MKV files created by opening the disk and saving to MKV, or files created by using the Backup function?

If you are using the Backup function, did you decrypt the files during the backup, or leave them encrypted?

The Oppo should play MKV files just fine.
Frankly I really don't know what I'm doing here. I believe I used the Backup function but didn't select any option to decrypt them (took defaults) so it sounds like that is the issue. I didn't see an option to save to MKV. I will look for that next as it sounds like that may be more what I want to do anyway.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you load a disk into MakeMKV, there is a very large icon that looks like it is spinning. When it stops, it displays either "DVD" or "Bluray" logos. Click on it.

You are now opening the disk, and you can save individual titles as MKV files, which the Oppo should have no problems with.

If you chose to use Backup, you need to decrypt the files or the Oppo can't read them.
bwillcox

Post by bwillcox »

Thanks! That worked for me and I'm now they are mkv files.

Is there some way to get the makemkv program to permanently remember the folder that I want to store the files in? It keeps reverting to a local disk on my system but I want to save all of these on one of my NAS shares.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The initial folder to use is part of the Preferences->Video screen.

I use "SemiAuto" and the path contains "Z:" (root directory of the one share on the NAS). This causes the initial destination to be a folder on the NAS with the same name as the disk, if MakeMKV can read a valid name off of it.
bwillcox

Post by bwillcox »

Thanks again...got it set! :)