MKV to de-interlaced m4v

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
kevinmmkv

MKV to de-interlaced m4v

Post by kevinmmkv »

Hi,

In the process of converting my entire DVD collection to M4V files to play on computer/tablets.

Even on older discs with no protection, I use makemkv, since it gives the best quality compared to other methods.

Any suggestions on the best way to de-interlace the files on the way to the final m4v file?

I've found using VLC player to convert to m4v/mov is the quickest way. So far, I've found using Final Cut Pro/Compressor is the best way to de-interlace, as well as bring the file sizes down to something manageable. My rule of thumb is to make the file size at 1gb per 1 hour of material.

Converting in compressor is painfully slow though. Is there anything available that would do the same thing in shorter time? I use HandBrake frequently, but found their De-Interlace process gives a "muddy" look to the final video. (Unless I'm not using it right). It works best only for media that came in a pure digital format.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Woodstock

Re: MKV to de-interlaced m4v

Post by Woodstock »

I've been using handbrake's Decomb filter (rather than the Deinterlace filter) set to "default". I haven't noticed any appreciable "muddiness" added.

But one of the problems with this whole process is how things look to the person doing the processing - all of us perceive "good enough" differently. And a setting that is good for a slow-moving movie may not work well for one with a lot of action in scenes.

Which is why there are SO many tweaks available in handbrake for their filters. I read on their forum the other day that a new filter setting was added for enhanced results for VHS conversions.

As for other programs... I haven't worked with any, so can't offer advice on those.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MrVideo

Re: MKV to de-interlaced m4v

Post by MrVideo »

kevinmmkv wrote:Any suggestions on the best way to de-interlace the files on the way to the final m4v file?
Since you do not provide this info, I'm assuming you are talking about 480i DVDs and not 576i DVDs. You do not want to de-interlace, but you do want to IVTC, i.e., remove the 2:3 pulldown in the 29.97 fps video back to the native 23.976 fps video (movies). For DVDs that are of a pure 29.97 fps video content, I prefer to leave the interlacing alone, otherwise time spatical info is reduced and vertical resolution might be reduced as well.
It works best only for media that came in a pure digital format.
I'm confused by this statement, since DVDs are pure digital.

The way I do IVTC of anything is via AVISynth, on a M$ system. The output of AVIsynth is then handed to the x264 encoder, to which I set the paramaters for bitrate, etc.