Star Wars Force Awakens Blue Ray - No English Audio

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
SenatorStev

Star Wars Force Awakens Blue Ray - No English Audio

Post by SenatorStev »

So, I have the target bonus edition of Star Wars Force awakens. It has 4 different files that are the movie. Source 800 runs the movie with English for the rolling intro and alien subtitles, but everytime I rip it, it defaults to French. I can choose to toggle it to Spanish as well, but English isn't delectable. 2 of the other files for the movie are the same exact thing, only the text on the film is in either french or Spanish. The audio tracks continue to default to French and can be toggled to Spanish, but not English. The 4th file starts partway into the movie and still doesn't have English audio.

I tried defaulting the audio specifically to English in the settings, but then I have no audio at all, the movie says English is selected, and French and Spanish are no longer options at all. What is going on here that I can't get English audio working on my rips?

Update:
I just tried ripping another Disney Blue Ray title. This time there was only one film to rip. The audio again defaulted to French. I could select Spanish and Russian as well. English was not selectable. Forcing the rip to be in English resulted in no Audio at all.

I'm going to try ripping a non-Disney Blue ray to compare. I've ripped non-Disney DVD's and had no issue so far. Maybe I'll try a Disney DVD for full comparison.

Update 2:
I just tried ripping a WB blue ray. Only one possible movie to rip. The audio defaulted to French, I could select Spanish, English is there, but not selectable. I imagine that trying to force it to default to only English will result in a blank audio track once again.
Last edited by SenatorStev on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Blue Ray - No English Audio

Post by Woodstock »

When MakeMKV finishes "Opening" the disk and displays the titles available, what audio tracks are available and checked when you expand the listing for title 800?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SenatorStev

Post by SenatorStev »

I just realized I could expand the list to select specific audio tracks like that. I just started using makemkv yesterday so I'm pretty newb with it. Looking at the settings...

English 7.1 was unchecked as a main option
English 5.1 was checked as a sub option off of the 7.1
French and Spanish 5.1 were main options and were checked.

I'm thinking I'll try going w/ 7.1 and 5.1 checked for English and unchecking the other two.

Update:
Still no sound. For some reason only the foreign language tracks will actually rip with any sound.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You might want to kick into Expert mode (Preferences->General, Expert mode), then go to the advanced tab and select the profile "FLAC"). A lot of times, your playback software cannot handle advanced audio if it can't hand the decoding over to something else. VLC is like that with some audio formats.

By converting those "special" formats into FLAC, it can make the file more universal.
SenatorStev

Post by SenatorStev »

Woodstock wrote:You might want to kick into Expert mode (Preferences->General, Expert mode), then go to the advanced tab and select the profile "FLAC"). A lot of times, your playback software cannot handle advanced audio if it can't hand the decoding over to something else. VLC is like that with some audio formats.

By converting those "special" formats into FLAC, it can make the file more universal.

I'll try it just to see how it works out, but that doesn't really explain why I'm getting audio in every other language. It's only the English audio track that's coming out blank.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

How are the other languages encoded? The tracks are not always consistent, especially when you have something like 7.1 audio for one language (the 5.1 is a subset of the 7.1, which is why it is displayed the way it is), and "lesser" channels on other languages. A disk set I ripped yesterday used 5.1 TrueHD and AC3 for the two English tracks, but the Japanese tracks were both stereo, no "TrueHD".

The other thing to check is, are the English tracks really missing from the MKV file? Tools like mkvtoolnix (google will find it) will tell you exactly what tracks are in the MKV, even if your player won't.