Audiostreams & codecs Questions

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
upcarrotm

Audiostreams & codecs Questions

Post by upcarrotm »

When I am using MakeMKV to backup a disk I have multiple choices for audio streams. If anyone could help answer any of these questions I would be grateful.

1. Which has the higher quality audio? DD or DTS?
2, Which have you had the most success with?
2. Is there a difference between DTS HD Lossless English and DTS 3/2+1 English?
3. Why is it that sometimes I see duplicates of the same audio stream in the same title. For example DD 3/2+1 English and DD 3/2+1 English. Is one of those commentary or something?
4. I am assuming that DD 2/0 is stereo and DD 3/2+1 is 5.1 surround sound. Which one is 7.1 or THX?
4. Do you have any good discussion links that have information on these? The more info I can get the better. Especially as it pertains to MakeMKV.

Thanks!
Upcarrotm
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 12957 times
skittle

Re: Audiostreams & codecs Questions

Post by skittle »

DD vs DTS have about the same quality ... but with DD requiring much less bitrate.
TrueHD/DTS-HD are different from regular DTS/DD. You dont need to keep them, especially if your hardware cant decode them.
TrueHD/DTS-HD are both 7.1 surround.

For more information, go to doom9 and/or hydrogenaudio forums and search/ask there. There is seriously more information then you will ever want to know in those two forums!
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

If your receiver can play either DTS or DD, generally stick with saving the DTS tracks. I've found they usually sound better than the DD track, with better separation. It all depends on who mastered the thing and how they set it up; there are no absolutes here.
upcarrotm

Post by upcarrotm »

Thanks for the info
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If your receiver can handle HD audio codecs, then keeping the lossless track (TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) can be beneficial if you have the right playback environment. I have ffdshow and MPC matroska splitter so that I can bitstream the HD audio and display PGS subs if I need them. I use WMP and 7MC as my players. This works exceptionally well.