A Better Way To Find The Correct Playlist/Segment Map

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Shoot9r

Re: A Better Way To Find The Correct Playlist/Segment Map

Post by Shoot9r »

erik7426 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:43 pm
I have found a better and much easier way to do this. It may work with other media players, but I use MPC-BE (Media Player Classic - BE).
It can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

1. Open the BD in MPCE-BE
2. After a few seconds the movie begins to play. In my experience no menus or previews play. It jumps straight into the movie.
3. While the movie is playing select Navigate from the MPC-BE menu. Within that menu select Jump To. A list of titles will display. Make note of the title that has a dot next to its name and the run time.
4. With title and run time noted you can close MPC-BE.
5. Open Make-MKV and click the button to let it read the contents of the BD.
6. In general you can tell which titles are likely the movie. If that's the case just check those. When in doubt click through each title.
a. When a title is clicked the information in the Info section changes.
b. the runtime is listed as Duration and the title is listed as Source File Name.
c. click through the titles until you find the one that matches what you wrote down from MPC-BE.
d. Eureka! This is the correct title. Uncheck other titles as needed and use whatever settings you normally use in Make-MKV to save it.
I've tested this method with the Star Wars UHDs seems to be legit. ill be using this method from now on thanks
mgutt

Post by mgutt »

mgutt wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:47 pm
If you view a Blu-Ray through DVDFab Player and use the playlist button in the bottom right corner it displays the MPLS number of the movie:

2020-01-09 22_44_45.png

No need to monitor file access or fast play the movie. I think this is by far the easiest method.
As PlayerFab does not work for me anymore, I found a different way:

Setup VLC to play Blu-Rays

- downloaded and install the 64-bit version of VLC
- downloaded keys database from vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name to "C:\ProgramData\aacs\keydb.cfg"
- downloaded aacs dynamic library from vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name to "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\libaacs.dll"
- install Java SE8
- set in VLC > settings > check "all" at the bottom > Input codec > all three language options to "DE".
- VLC > Media > open Medium > check "Blu-Ray" > Play
- useful shortcut to open the disc menu: SHIFT+m

VLC is ready to play Blu-Rays

To obtain the used playlist / m2ts file (to analyze playlist obfuscation):
- download and install process explorer
- play movie through VLC
- search in process explorer for "vlc.exe" and click on it
- check in the bottom "Handles" tab under the "Type" "File" which file is open. Optical media is shown as \Device\CdRom....

In my case I saw VLC was accessing "\Device\CdRom3\BDMV\STREAM\00353.m2ts" and in MakeMKV the number "353" was shown in the list of IDs in the row "Segment map".
2023-05-19 21_18_54.png
2023-05-19 21_18_54.png (134.21 KiB) Viewed 10086 times
Downside: It does not display the mpls ID. Not sure if its disappearing too fast?!

EDIT: Ok, funny. PlayerFAB only needed Java to work again. I never knew this was a requirement ^^
Checkerknight

Post by Checkerknight »

unab0mb wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 pm
I've seen a lot of folks still referring to old YouTube videos showing how to use Process Monitor and PowerDVD to find the correct playlist when there is a lot of playlist obfuscation on a Blu-Ray disc. Unfortunately, that method is dated and is not always accurate anymore because PowerDVD accesses random playlists on a disc to throw you off.

This was absolutely beautiful! Thank you very much. I was having trouble with John Wick Chapter 3, Makemkv didnt mark anything as MainFeature and there are 380 titles on this disc...needless to say i really needed this so you are a life saver!
NGS428

Post by NGS428 »

mgutt wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:20 pm
mgutt wrote:
If you view a Blu-Ray through DVDFab Player and use the playlist button in the bottom right corner it displays the MPLS number of the movie:

2020-01-09 22_44_45.png

No need to monitor file access or fast play the movie. I think this is by far the easiest method.

- downloaded keys database from vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name to "C:\ProgramData\aacs\keydb.cfg"
- downloaded aacs dynamic library from vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name to "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\libaacs.dll"
- install Java SE8
- set in VLC > settings > check "all" at the bottom > Input codec > all three language options to "DE".

- play movie through VLC
- check in the bottom "Handles" tab under the "Type" "File" which file is open. Optical media is shown as \Device\CdRom....

In my case I saw VLC was accessing "\Device\CdRom3\BDMV\STREAM\00353.m2ts" and in MakeMKV the number "353" was shown in the list of IDs in the row "Segment map".

2023-05-19 21_18_54.png

Downside: It does not display the mpls ID. Not sure if its disappearing too fast?!

EDIT: Ok, funny. PlayerFAB only needed Java to work again. I never knew this was a requirement ^^

Trying to get VLC to play BluRay discs, I followed the steps, when I went to play the disc I got this error:

Blu-ray error:
AACS Host certificate revoked.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.

Tried putting it in the roaming folder too using this process, same issue...
1) Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2) Type %Appdata% and click OK. This will put you at C:\Users\'user name'\AppData\Roaming
3) Click the New folder icon on top, and name the folder aacs so you have ...\Appdata\Roaming\aacs\
4) Open the newly created aacs folder and paste the KEYDB.cfg file there.

Thoughts?

Edit: I just setup integration with MAKEMKV instead
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

NGS428 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:44 pm
mgutt wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:20 pm
mgutt wrote:

2020-01-09 22_44_45.png

- install Java SE8

- play movie through VLC

2023-05-19 21_18_54.png

Trying to get VLC to play BluRay discs, I followed the steps, when I went to play the disc I got this error:

Blu-ray error:
AACS Host certificate revoked.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.

Tried putting it in the roaming folder too using this process, same issue...
1) Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2) Type %Appdata% and click OK. This will put you at C:\Users\'user name'\AppData\Roaming
3) Click the New folder icon on top, and name the folder aacs so you have ...\Appdata\Roaming\aacs\
4) Open the newly created aacs folder and paste the KEYDB.cfg file there.

Thoughts?

Edit: I just setup integration with MAKEMKV instead
Uninstall VLC restart. Download VLC 64 bit and install, do nothing else.
Make sure integration is ticked in VLC.

Download Java 64 bit offline installer. Install and restart.

Open VLC select open disc, make sure Bluray is selected. tick box do not use menus to test it works first. It should work, no need to copy any files.

If it work then try with menus.

Asmcom.
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387