VIDEO_TS DVD backup

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
polymath

VIDEO_TS DVD backup

Post by polymath »

I apologize if this is an often-asked-and-answered question but I haven't been able to find the answer by searching in the forums here.

Is there any way with MakeMKV to produce an unencrypted backup of a DVD (i.e. the VIDEO_TS folder), as there is with Blu-ray? The FAQ mentions only how to create an M2TS backup from a Blu-ray, and that works quite well, but sure enough the "backup" option doesn't appear at all when ripping a DVD.

And if there indeed isn't any way to do this with MakeMKV, what other software would be suitable for this (in particular on a Mac)?
polymath

Re: VIDEO_TS DVD backup

Post by polymath »

Okay, more thorough searching uncovered several threads that do indeed talk about this, and confirmed that there is currently no support for this in MakeMKV. So I'll add my vote for including this feature in a future release.

I'd still welcome recommendations on how to do this easily in MacOS. In the past I've used AnyDVD in a Windows Virtual Machine, and I could still do this, but it's troublesome. A modern native solution would be preferable.

I've also installed "dvdbackup" via MacPorts and tried that but haven't been able to get it to work (complains that it "Cannot seek DVD device").

Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The "backup" feature for Bluray was added because there was no equivalent of it elsewhere.

For DVD, there have been utilities, both free and otherwise, that can make an ISO, which is then playable in many devices... The CSS encryption used on DVDs is well understood and decryption of DVDs is built into many software players, so it isn't even necessary to decrypt the ISO.
On Linux and Mac, you can use the utility 'dd' to create a DVD ISO that is playable.

One such utility that I've used in the past on Windows is called "bdlot". But there has been no need to update it in so long that the developers lost interest in it, and you can only find it on archive sites now.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
xr200

Post by xr200 »

I've also installed "dvdbackup" via MacPorts and tried that but haven't been able to get it to work (complains that it "Cannot seek DVD device").
I use dvdbackup (on Linux) frequently, never had any problem.

My command line is usually this:

Code: Select all

dvdbackup -i /dev/sr0 -p -M -o /tmp -n "title_of_the_dvd"
Are you sure you are identifying your dvd device correctly?
polymath

Post by polymath »

xr200 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 pm
I use dvdbackup (on Linux) frequently, never had any problem.

My command line is usually this:

Code: Select all

dvdbackup -i /dev/sr0 -p -M -o /tmp -n "title_of_the_dvd"
Are you sure you are identifying your dvd device correctly?
The device name was correct (/dev/disk25 in this case) but I wasn't supplying the "-n" option (didn't think it was needed for a full-disc rip).

With "-n" it works fine. Thanks very much.
xr200

Post by xr200 »

I wasn't supplying the "-n" option (didn't think it was needed for a full-disc rip).
It depends on the DVD. Sometimes dvdbackup isn't able to auto-detect the title for you.
No clue as to why that is. I just always use the "-n" option to avoid any problem.