Difference between index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
jishaq

Difference between index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv?

Post by jishaq »

Hello,

I used AnyDVD HD to rip a Blu-ray to my hard drive via its "Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk" option. After about 30 minutes, it has created the BDMV folder structure that contains, among things, an index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv file, as one would expect.

Then I run MakeMKV Beta, and click 'open' to load the ripped BD, and navigate to the BDMV folder. The open-file dialog's file name filter is such that both the "index.bdmv" (2KB) and "MovieObject.bdmv" (61KB) files show up, and it's not immediately apparent which is the right one to select, and how the program may operate differently if I happen to select one or the other.

I searched the web and found the following:
  • index.bdmv file: stores information describing the contents of the BDMV directory. There is only one index.bdmv file under the BDMV directory.
  • MovieObject.bdmv file: stores information for one or more Movie Objects. There is only one MovieObject.bdmv under the BDMV directory.
Hmm. Seems like "MovieObject" might be more what I'm looking for, but it's not clear. I searched these forums, and found ten posts which all basically say "... then choose either index.bdmv or MovieObject.bdmv".

So it seems it doesn't matter which one I choose, but I've yet to see anyone explicitly say that MakeMKV operates exactly the same regardless of which one is selected: does it? Does anybody know what the difference, other than about 59KB in my case, between these two files? Does one simply point to the other? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
-Jeff
mike admin

Re: Difference between index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv?

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV ignores contents of both files. Really it reads many files under BDMV folder but *.bdmv is easier to select.
jishaq

Re: Difference between index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv?

Post by jishaq »

Ah! Brilliant. Thanks for the simple explanation. I feel much better now.