Is the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti a good card for 4K HTPC?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
nickelmouse

Is the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti a good card for 4K HTPC?

Post by nickelmouse »

Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but it seemed the most relevant area. (EDIT: Just found the playback and processing forum - feel free to move if that's more appropriate).

I have an HTPC that does okay with a handful of my 4K rips running an old i7-3820 and GTX 670. But it definitely strains and playback is unwatchable for several movies that have a bit rate over 65000kbps. I'm am looking for a decent budget card for 4K playback and the GTX 1050 Ti 4GB seems like best option, while also opening up doors for Netflix 4K, etc. Is anyone using this card that can comment on how well it handles their 4K rips? I'm looking at the base model (not overclocked, single fan). Thanks.
SamuriHL

Re: Is the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti a good card for 4K HTPC?

Post by SamuriHL »

No, not really. Even my 1060 6gb isn't QUITE enough for 60fps but works well for 24fps UHD.
nickelmouse

Post by nickelmouse »

It's just for movies so all I'm looking for is 24 FPS. No gaming or anything else.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Yes, wrong subforum, but since we are here:

In my experience that card can give you decent 4K playback on an HTPC. I am familiar with a HTPC build that is currently running two of these cards (EVGA dual fan versions. One for two 1080p monitors and 1 dedicated to a 4K TV). We have tested 60 and 24 fps UHD video content (NOT games) without issues on this rig. It did take us several weeks of fine tuning to find a sweet spot.

However, if you expect to run something like MadVR at full high settings/high quality for 4K playback then you will need a higher end card. For standard 4K playback we found it works well.
nickelmouse

Post by nickelmouse »

Thanks for the input (and whoever moved my post to right spot :D )

I picked up a used single fan GTX 1060 on eBay for $100 shipped. Always a bit risky, but it's really just to tide me over for awhile and seemed like a decent deal. I also forgot I had a laptop with a 1050M in it, and I tested a few of the higher bit rate videos on that and they all played fine with PotPlayer and madVR when using hardware acceleration. If that mobile GTX 1050 played those fine, I don't imagine the desktop 1060 is going to struggle with 24 FPS videos.