MKV Movies Cannot Play on Xbox One S using VLC Player

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
bonesjk

MKV Movies Cannot Play on Xbox One S using VLC Player

Post by bonesjk »

I use MakeMKV to rip Blue Ray discs that I own, store them on hard drive to play on Xbox One S via USB port. Previously, there was no issue at all, all movies can be played by VLC player on Xbox. But for the last few months, the new movies that I converted to MKV files cannot play on Xbox anymore, VLC Player just simply cannot open the files. However, these MKV format movies are fine to be played on PC by the same VLC Player and they are also playable by directly plugged in TV via USB. The only difference I did was updating the operating system on my PC that I use to convert MKV files, it was Windows 7, and now it is Windows 10. And I use the latest version of MakeMKV.

Can anybody give me some clues on how to resolve this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Loominal

Re: MKV Movies Cannot Play on Xbox One S using VLC Player

Post by Loominal »

I am wondering the folder that you store the movies in on your windows 10 box. Please check the permissions. Upon updating to windows 10 the permissions on the folders could of been set back to admin only or local user only. You might want to double check and open it up on the network or share the folder. (which if you can see it on your xbox it is) but maybe the permissions are still wrong. you can see it just not play it cause the permission isn't set for guests correctly.

just an idea.