Is Handbrake not compatible with Passthrough of TrueHD?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
mike_mgoblue

Is Handbrake not compatible with Passthrough of TrueHD?

Post by mike_mgoblue »

I recently converted two movies from Blu-ray to MKV. Those movies were Event Horizon and Batman Returns. Both of those movies use 24-bit Dolby TrueHD. Both of them turned out fine in their MKV format.

However, when I used Handbrake, I selected "Auto Passthrough." I thought the audio would be identical, just as it normally is with DTS-MA audio files. But, that was not what happened. Instead, the Dolby TrueHD 24-bit Lossless format that has a bitrate of 6912kb/s was showing up at Dolby Digital AC3 and being seen as "Lossy" with a bitrate of only 640kb/s.

Does anyone know why that is? ... It was like this for both Event Horizon and Batman Returns. It appears Handbrake is not compatible with TrueHD.

I also tried "Auto Passthough" with the standard Dolby Digital AC-3 format, and it ended up with 16-bits, Lossy, 640kb/s, which I believe is what it actually uses.
Woodstock

Re: Is Handbrake not compatible with Passthrough of TrueHD?

Post by Woodstock »

This isn't the handbrake support forum. They have their own forum at https://forum.handbrake.fr , and they'll require encode logs for the problematic source files.

I do know that "TrueHD passthru" has been an available option versions put out in the last year.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging