subtitle track numbers

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
metafloor

subtitle track numbers

Post by metafloor »

I have seen a lot of DVDs that set a default (not forced) subtitle for the main movie. When viewing a DVD in VLC, it automatically selects the correct subtitle track:

From pgcedit, that selection is the based on the pre command:

Code: Select all

(SetSTN) Set Audio stream = gprm(12) ; Set Sub-picture stream = gprm(13)

In MakeMKV, it shows the following:

I used trial and error to determine which subtitle track corresponded to track 13.

Is there some way in MakeMKV to see the actual track numbers?
Padme

Re: subtitle track numbers

Post by Padme »

metafloor wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:16 pm
Is there some way in MakeMKV to see the actual track numbers?
I would also like to know the answer, but I'm afraid the answer is 'no'
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

You mean original MPEG tack id? No way currently in GUI, but ironically this information is preserved in MKV file, so you can see it after you've made the MKV...
metafloor

Post by metafloor »

The original issue was mainly an annoyance as it could be solved by trial and error. But have now run into a similar situation that cannot be resolved. These images are from the DVD Star Trek III - Search for Spock. Here is what VLC shows when playing the main movie:

And what MakeMKV shows when trying to rip the DVD:

I am not very good with Klingon and would like to see the subtitles that normally display with the movie by default, but they are not available to select in MakeMKV. The subtitles shown in the MakeMKV correspond to the "language identified" subtitles in VLC. Subtitle tracks 9 - 16 are not listed. Any chance this can be fixed?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Unfortunately MakeMKV does not extract "Forced flagged" subtitles from the subtitle stream into an extra stream for DVDs. This was requested many times but never implemented.

The solution is to use the java tool "BD sup2sub" which can extract the forced flagged subtitle entries.
- Extract the subtitle track from the MKV file (f.e. with MKVtoolNIX mkvextract)
- Use "BD sup2sub" to load the extracted subtitle track. It telles how many forced flagged subtitles are in the track
- Make sure that the outpule format is set to "sub/idx")
- Now goto save and an additional selection windows shows the checkbox "Forced only", select it and now the forced subtitles are saved in an extra track
- Use "MKVToolNIX GUI", load the original MKV file and the new forced subtitle track, shift the forced track in the right position, set the language, default and forced flags and muxx the file.
Good Luck :)