Horizontal color fluctuation problem

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
just1nd20

Horizontal color fluctuation problem

Post by just1nd20 »

I just bought an external blu-ray drive (ASUS sbc-06d1s-u) for my MacBook Pro. I use Plex for playback. I've only ripped two movies so far - Shutter Island and From Hell. Shutter Island played back fine in a test, but From Hell has awful color fluctuation in wide horizontal bands throughout the whole movie. I'm going to try ripping it again but thought I should post my experience to see what others think/know.
skittle

Re: Horizontal color fluctuation problem

Post by skittle »

Please post screenshot and mediainfo output of the file. Most likely it is a problem with plex. Confirm this by playing back with VLC instead.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

You might want to try playing the original, commercial blu-ray disc on a standalone player, to see if it exhibits the same behavior...

just1nd20

Post by just1nd20 »

You were right. I installed VLC and the movie played fine. I just upgraded plex to 0.9.1, sounds like another bug. I'll post this in the plex forum. Thanks guys.
ingoldsby

Post by ingoldsby »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

You might want to try playing the original, commercial blu-ray disc on a standalone player, to see if it exhibits the same behavior...

I also see this behavior exhibited in certain copies using playback with the Boxee Box. I've noticed it on Avatar (it's really bad on this ) and Toy Story 3 to a much lesser extent.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

ingoldsby wrote:I also see this behavior exhibited in certain copies using playback with the Boxee Box.
You should file a bug with Boxee, they'll need to fix their software.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
ingoldsby

Post by ingoldsby »

After double checking, this behavior is exhibited on my Avatar rip using VLC as well as playing it with boxee in the exact same spots. So it's not the box, it's makemkv.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@ingoldsby

Once again:

You might want to try playing the original, commercial blu-ray disc on a standalone player (and, if possible, on your PC), to see if it exhibits the same behavior...

crowfax

Post by crowfax »

ingoldsby wrote:After double checking, this behavior is exhibited on my Avatar rip using VLC as well as playing it with boxee in the exact same spots. So it's not the box, it's makemkv.
I've seen two BR players do the same thing when playing this disc directly. I have no idea what's special about the video stream for Avatar that causes it.

It's nothing MakeMKV is doing, as MakeMKV does not change the video stream in anyway.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox