Full Backup Playback with Oppo 203

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
speeddemon

Full Backup Playback with Oppo 203

Post by speeddemon »

I'm new to MakeMKV and successfully ripped my first few UHD Blu-rays from my collection to MKV files now stored on my NAS.

The fourth movie I went to go rip was Apocalypse Now which is Dolby Vision. I didn't know about Dolby Vision being incompatible with MKV up to this point, but researched and now understand this limitation.

I have read though that you can backup the entire decrypted disc and then play that back over the network with an Oppo 203 (which I own already and have been using successfully with MKV files). I'm running into an issue while trying to do this though...

I browse to my Server's SMB connection, go into Videos, browse to the Apocalypse Now backup folder, then click on the folder, and nothing happens... it just goes into the folder and I'm not sure what I should click on next. I just see three folders, BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and MAKEMKV. Nothing happens as well if I click on any of those three folders.

What should I do next? Am I missing something basic?

Odd fact, I download an iPhone app called "Oppo Media Control" and I was actually able to use it remotely to virtually navigate the Oppo's network browser and start playing the folder. I can't understand though why tapping on the folder from a remote app's file browser would start playing the Blu-ray in its entirety when the native interface doesn't appear to work.

Thank you!
speeddemon

Re: Full Backup Playback with Oppo 203

Post by speeddemon »

I found the answer myself...

I had to go into the backup folder and copy all three folders (BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and MAKEMKV) into a folder named "AVCHD".

This is documented on the unofficial Oppo 203 FAQ:
AVCHD
This is a supported format for use in high definition video cameras. See: AVCHD. The file formats and directory layout are very similar to Blu-ray video.

If necessary, simply create an empty folder named AVCHD (exact spelling and uppercase) and move the BDMV folder etc into it.

For example:
Before:
My Movie / BDMV (and other folders...)

After:
My Movie / AVCHD / BDMV (and other folders...)

The rules
  • Blu-ray requires the bdmv_modify utility, UHD does not.
  • On USB storage, the AVCHD folder is not required for either Blu-ray or UHD.
  • On SMB and NFS shares, the AVCHD folder is required for both Blu-ray and UHD.
Source: https://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203 ... hd-backups
rifer11

Post by rifer11 »

After working fine for over a year, this approach has suddenly stopped on my 203. When I press play with the AVCHD selected, it now simply shows the three folders under that directory!
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

Idk about via NAS, but mine plays just fine with locally connected USB devices.

The only BDMV backups I've had issues with are ones with BD+ protection, which give me an error telling me to upgrade my firmware when played. However it'll play an MKV file just fine. And of course Cinavia will trigger on BDMV backups, but work fine via MKV.
sorgansf

Post by sorgansf »

Here's the answer that you are looking for: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203- ... hd-backups

I've been doing this for all of my BR and UHD backups and haven't had a single issue. All my folders are located on a Synology drive that I connect through SMB. It actually plays faster than if I inserted a disc. Menus, Dolby Vision, audio--everything works perfectly.

Just wish there was a way to have a better menu navigation.
Harmonium

Post by Harmonium »

sorgansf wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Here's the answer that you are looking for: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203- ... hd-backups

I've been doing this for all of my BR and UHD backups and haven't had a single issue. All my folders are located on a Synology drive that I connect through SMB. It actually plays faster than if I inserted a disc. Menus, Dolby Vision, audio--everything works perfectly.

Just wish there was a way to have a better menu navigation.
Can you give more details on this procedure! How you do your backup of your UHD and BR? I'm new here and hasn't been able to play a backup. I have a drive connected through SMB. I'm using an iMac to rip my movies. I want to have access to menus, chapters etc.

Thanks for your help!