video compression

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Imperiects

video compression

Post by Imperiects »

I have been using handbrake for video compression but was looking for something a bit faster. Three hours per movie seems a bit long. I stumbled upon Wondershare Uniconverter and was wondering if anyone has been able to use it? Is it worth paying for the life time access? Does it compress faster that handbrake? Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: video compression

Post by Woodstock »

Generally speaking, you have three things you can chose to optimize in video compression:

Level of compression
Quality of result
Speed of compression

From those, you chose to optimize up to two you care about, because all three won't work out so well.

Handbrake chose speed of compression in older versions; Starting with 1.1, quality of result became the default, and speed dropped off. I can have the same source video compress at 40 frames per second or .3 FPS, depending on settings selected.

You can use hardware-assisted encoding, if you have an Intel processor with Quick Sync Video (and the proper video drivers) or a video card with nVidia's NVENC encoder (again, with proper drivers), and have blazing fast speed (I saw nearly 300 FPS on BD content), at the sacrifice of both quality of encode and level of compression, within handbrake.

Edited to add: The commercial application you asked about does a lot more than handbrake does. If you need those other things (video editing, burning DVD/BD disks, etc), then it is probably a good deal. If you only need to compress DVD or BD video to either h.264 or h.265 in either an MKV or MP4 container, handbrake is probably all you need.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging